Salary: £28,000 – £32,000 per annum plus benefits
Location: Central London with option for some home-working
Line Manager: Human Resource Manager
Start Network is made up of more than 50 aid agencies across five continents. We are tackling what we believe are the biggest systemic problems that the humanitarian sector faces. Start Network’s vision is for a locally-led humanitarian system that is accountable to people affected by and at-risk of crises. We aim to achieve this vision by making systemic-level shifts in the way humanitarian assistance is approached and delivered. To achieve this, we need a substantial change to the current structure evolving from the centralised structure of today to a dispersed, international network of hubs operating nationally and regionally.
We have grown and diversified our membership over the past 10 years. We are now set to evolve into a decentralised “network of networks” in line with our vision. We are currently working with five national and regional hubs made up of civil society organisations in Pakistan, DRC, Guatemala, India and the Pacific. They are developing locally owned ways of anticipating and responding to humanitarian crises. We aim to support the emergence and development of further hubs in the coming years. Our ultimate ambition is to devolve leadership and decision making to the hubs, while the central team transitions to become a service provider.
The Start Network is at a critical point in its journey. We are looking for people to join us who are committed to our vision of system change. People with open mind-sets and approaches that are innovative, collaborative and prepared to push boundaries. You will work well with us if you are receptive to and embrace change and happy to work in a faced-paced, experimental and ever- changing work environment.
For more information about our values and strategic priorities, please visit our website.
As a member of the People & Culture team, the purpose of the HR Coordinator is to provide administrative support for general HR functions while providing first line support to managers and staff on HR policies and ensuring accurate HR record keeping. The role will also support implementation of HR and Organisational Development initiatives, including EDI, and support team communication.
Human Resources Coordination
· Assist line managers in recruitment including advertising, setting up of interviews and tests, and ensuring line managers manage the process and maintain records in line with our recruitment policy
· Support the HR Manager in drafting formal HR documents throughout the employee lifecycle, including offer letters, statement of terms and conditions, amendments, resignation acknowledgements, maternity and sick leave letters and disciplinary cases
· Lead on the onboarding and exit process for employees including carrying out referencing and the necessary background checks
· Support induction and together with the HR Manager, working with line managers to ensure completion of forms, supporting training, updating the induction pack and line managers’ guidance
· Provide administrative support across all aspects of HR acting as the first point of contact for questions around, for example, our HRIS system and wellbeing, referring more technical HR questions to the HR Manager.
· Set up and maintain a bank of user-friendly HR templates accessible to line managers working together with the HR Manager
· Responsible for maintaining accurate HR records in our HRIS system and where needed in the online filing system
· Provide reports from the HRIS for management information and decision-making
· Record keeping and processing invoices for external suppliers
· Act as point of contact for Kaya our online training portal, including being responsible for content curation, and ensuring that new joiners are trained on mandatory policies
· Work with the HR Manager on specific HR projects and initiatives
· Support the Head of People and Culture and the Organisational Transformational Outcome Group on organisational development and change management initiatives
· Support learning and development across the organisation, such as procurement of training providers, and organising associated logistics
· Develop communications materials to promote OD initiatives, such as presentations and social media messaging
· Play an active role as a Wellbeing Peer Supporter, providing the connection to the People and Culture team
· Play an active role as an EDI Steering group member, working closely with the Head of P&C and HR Manager to implement specific initiatives linked to HR and organisational development, including monitoring diversity of staff and applicants
· Work with the Head of People and Culture and Operations and Change Manager on initiatives to improve internal communications and information management
· Maintain the relevant pages of the website related to HR and organisational development
· Provide surge administrative support on cross-organisational initiatives
· As Start Network is still an actively growing organisation, there will be need to take on other tasks and responsibilities commensurate with the role type and grade as required.
· Relationship management
· Communicating with impact
· Delivering results
· Information management
· Problem solving and decision making
· Impeccable communication skills
· A go-getter attitude
· Take responsibility seriously and hold others to account
· Be goal-focused
· Demonstrate excellent organisational skills
· Manage your time well
· Be confident working on your own initiative
· Strong IT Skills, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, video conferencing
· Great team player with flexibility to adapt to changing demands
· Proven problem-solving skills
· Cultural sensitivity to work with a diverse team
Professional Skills and Experience
· CIPD level 3 qualified preferred
· Experience in a generalist HR role in a fast-paced environment
· Experience of coordinating recruitment
Start Network Culture
· To carry out the responsibilities of the role in line with the Start Network Code of Conduct
· A commitment to the Start Network vision, principles, values and approach
· The Start Network team is an agile group of individuals who use their experience and skills across the network, so flexibility to work in and with different teams and functions is a part of our culture.
OUR OFFER TO YOU
· Access to confidential counselling via Thrive Worldwide
· Staff support networks including LGBTQ+ and BIPOC groups
· Centrally located WeWork office with onsite drinks available free of charge
· Access to cultural talks, events, pop-up sales, and a place to meet and socialise after work
· Discounts at local cafes and restaurants in association with WeWork
· Flexible working with options to work from home and remotely some of the time
· Contributory pension
· Life assurance equivalent of three times your salary
· Family friendly policies, particularly maternity pay (21 weeks full pay)
· Training and development opportunities for individuals and cross-organisationally
· 25 days’ holiday, bank holidays plus 2 paid company days over the end of year period
How to apply:
We work with Applied, an online recruitment platform designed to allow teams to measure candidates on what actually matters. Rather than relying on CVs and cover letters, Applied allows you to demonstrate your skills and abilities through competency based questions which are blind- reviewed by our team to avoid personal bias.
If you have any questions or need support with your application, please email us using email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday 12 December 2021 23:59
Interviews: 20 and 21 December 2021