The WASH Technician will support and provide engineering expertise for the successful and timely completion of works of Save the Children in Kirkuk related to rehabilitation, construction and reparation of WASH facilities in selected sites within the project areas, in particular to support in ensuring the quality and effectiveness of programming in accordance with grant proposal and guidelines, as well as SC values and principles. The WASH Technical assistant will directly supervise sites to ensure implementation and successful completion of WASH related construction/rehabilitation projects or components as assigned by line manager.
The post is specifically oriented towards the WASH emergency response in the context of the crisis Iraqi IDP’s, and special attention will be made on the integration of the WASH sector in other core sectors of Save the Children programming such as nutrition, food security, health, education and child protection when applicable.
The WASH Technician will be working within the framework of Save the Children’s programming principles and approaches drawn on relevant best practices and lessons learned, work towards enabling children to attain their rights, while compliant with donor regulations. As part of Save the Children’s dual mandate, the WASH Technician will participate in emergency preparedness activities and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency, as required.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Officer
Staff reporting to this post: NA
Budget Responsibilities: No
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
* Be responsible for technical part of WASH needs assessments and participate in the selection of target communities and WASH facilities to be rehabilitated and / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, focus group discussions, visits to facilities and sites, and interview with key members of the community.
* Program design and implementation: (with commitment to SC Construction Policy and Benchmark Standards and in collaboration with the WASH officer).
* In collaboration with WASH officer, develop detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the construction/Rehabilitation works, based on assessment and program requirements, ensuring that recommended work is child-friendly and within the minimum SPHERE standards. Works such as:
Construction or rehabilitation of sanitation facilities (latrines, incinerator, refuse pit, soakage pit…).
* Construction or rehabilitation of drinking water infrastructures (hand dug well wells, boreholes, pipe network, reservoir, drinking water treatment device, water treatment plants, etc…).
* Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff, etc… according to standards and the grants proposals.
* Planning, organization and follow up of the community mobilization in target communities on issues related to construction, rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of WASH facilities.
* Be responsible to establish the technical aspect of the internal Purchase Requests and tender documents for construction and rehabilitation of WASH facilities.
* Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin.
* Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship.
* Site management: general supervision of contractors and Save the Children staff under her/his management (if any), ensuring the safety of construction sites for workers and beneficiaries and -in cooperation with MEAL department- ensure the community is facilitated to participate and provide feedback to Save the Children. Assist to develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central (Child and adult safeguarding through proper Risk Management Plan).
* Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, and make the connection with the administration and Supply Chain to ensure their payments are processed in a timely manner.
* Design, implementation and organization of training for construction of small WASH facilities at household level.
* Follow up Supply Chain / site supervision in case of direct intervention by Save the Children for small scale works.
* Assist to seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages; especially at the start and completion.
* As required, support emergency planning processes and response in regards to WASH.
Collaboration and Representation
Verify that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works done by the contractor are carried out according to quality standards established by Save the Children through quality checklists
Plan and be responsible for the weekly reporting (or as agreed) of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed…)
Writing weekly report to line manager, as well as daily reports when required, and verbal reports whenever necessary.
Integration, coordinations aspects :
Ensure that construction works are integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation component, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
Coordinate WASH construction activities with other sectors of Save the Children, in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries.
Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
Ensure the integration of Gender, Child Protection, Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change related issues and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of construction/rehabilitation activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, the elderly and disabled.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results and role modelling Save the Children values.
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team (if any), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team/colleagues/co-workers to do the same.
Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive/collaborative strength.
Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to and soft-spoken.
develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* BSc, Engineering, preferable to be Civil and/or Water Engineering or higher university/postgraduate degree.
* Other certificates related to public health and/or communication and training will be an asset.
* Experience of 2-3 years in field of civil construction and water infrastructure engineering, at least 1-2 years in WASH sector.
* Working ability with tight deadlines and in a fast growing/changing program environment.
* Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
* Computer literate, knowledge and experience of working on Auto CAD, Ms. Excel, word, Power point.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Strong knowledge and skills as well as practical experience of using civil engineering tools such Surveying Tools and etc.
* Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
* Commitment to self-capacity building as well as developing others.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Strong influencing skills.
* Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
* The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
* Oral and written fluency in Arabic, English language skills are an asset.
* Ability to work simultaneously with multiple tasks, willingness and ability to work efficiently with a wide diverse group of people.
* He/She must have access to all Iraq including KRI provinces for purposes of training and/or emergency response.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=cmFobWVkLjUzMjIyLjEyMTg1QHNhdmV0aGVjaGlsZHJlbmFvLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ