Job Title: WASH Project Manager
Role & Responsibilities
Manage the assigned WASH and Infrastructure project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s). The Wash Project Manager has a vital role to play in community mobilisation as well as access to safe water and sanitation for the target population. The role also includes enhancing beneficiary participation, managing and training local staff, implementing control and quality procedures in cooperation with the M&E Manager, WASH Advisor, and the Project Coordinator. As well as assessing, planning and initiating new infrastructure and WASH projects / proposals.
WASH projects to be implemented in Nord Kivu Province alongside mainly emergency health focussed projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in Eastern DR Congo. Developmental type projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in the general population and state health employees to improve public health outcomes.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Democratic Republic of Congo, with frequent visits to different locations.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 18 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned infrastructure and/or WASH project(s) as well as providing support to the WASH & Infrastructure Advisor in developing new standards.
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructure structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place especially helping to involve more the local communities drawing on similar experience in WASH projects, namely helping to improve the current committees’ setup.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the field managers.
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation of the infrastructure WASH programme.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability (BA) in all aspects of the project. Help integrate beneficiary participation into the existing project(s) framework: committees, random selection of casual labourer for interview and help develop new ways in integrating BA into infrastructure project(s).
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Support the WASH Advisor in analysing former infrastructure and WASH projects and budgets.
- Manage and oversee the assigned team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Hold monthly team meetings with the assigned team(s), reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Promote the health and security of the team(s) by providing support to the Project Coordinator and to the WASH Advisor in developing security and safety guidelines in the workplace.
- On occasions work with casual labour or other Medair staff (including hiring, co-ordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks
- Work with the relevant field managers to plan, develop and manage budgets for the assigned project(s).
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned team(s), ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned team(s), Medair in-country and GSO managers and advisors and other stakeholders.
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct procurement of all necessary Infrastructure, WASH supplies and equipment for the assigned activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored & distributed correctly.
- Ensure the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all equipment, within budgetary constraints, for the assigned project(s).
- Promote the Medair e-library, ensuring that all standardised formats and guidelines are used.
- Implement policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and HAP) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities. Good report writing skills. Problem solving ability.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.