Job Title: Volunteer Coordinator Lesvos – UNGO Jobs
Are you enthusiastic, sociable and a skilled organiser? Then become our next volunteer coordinator on Lesvos! The volunteer coordinator supports our missions on Lesbos through various organisational, administrative and logistical tasks. You will be the main point of contact for our volunteers and ensure a pleasant atmosphere in our volunteer house.
WHERE WILL YOU WORK?
Boat Refugee Foundation provides medical and psychological (emergency) aid and stands up for the rights of people seeking refuge. We take action where systems become inhumane and compassion is lost. Since 2015, we have been working in various locations on the borders of Europe, including on the Greek island of Lesvos.
As volunteer coordinator, you will be part of the coordinator team on Lesvos. Besides your own role, this team consists of an Area Manager, Medical coordinator and MHPSS coordinator. Additionally, you will work closely with the volunteer coordinator in The Netherlands.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
As volunteer coordinator you will be responsible for all practical and logistical matters concerning the volunteers and the volunteer house on Lesvos. You are the first point of contact for volunteers and provide them with the necessary information to do their job well. Through training you will help our volunteers become (more) aware of the context in which they work. Additionally, you ensure a pleasant atmosphere in the volunteer house.
Besides your practical tasks, you will also help with the volunteer management on Lesvos. You are responsible for the recruitment, support and coordination of our interpreters (who mostly live in the camp) and ensure a smooth cooperation between the interpreter team and the other volunteers. You will also manage our host and support crew volunteers.
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- You will lead the interpreter team, including monthly meetings and recruitment and selection of new interpreters. You coach them on a personal level and have regular individual evaluation moments with them.
- You liaise between the interpreter team and the other volunteers and ensure that the cooperation between the teams runs smoothly.
- You are responsible for the administration of the interpreter team, e.g. arranging badges and certificates and ordering work clothes.
- You manage the host and support crew volunteers and are their first point of contact for questions. You train these volunteers and organise meetings and evaluation moments.
- You arrange all kinds of practical and logistical matters for (external) volunteers. You are their point of contact and provide them with the necessary information.
- You ensure a pleasant atmosphere in the volunteer houses and keep a close eye on the volunteers’ welfare.
- You keep track of the planning of (new) volunteers and ensure continuous occupancy, in cooperation with the volunteer coordinator in the Netherlands.
- Three times a month you organise teambuilding and sports activities for all volunteers.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As a person you are a real regulator. You work in a structured way and can keep a good overview. You are also stress resistant and can deal well with ad hoc situations, which often arise on Lesbos. You are enthusiastic, social and a real motivator. Furthermore, you are a committed, empathetic and culturally sensitive person. Furthermore, you meet the following profile:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- You have a degree from a university of applied sciences (“HBO” in Dutch);
- You have at least 2 years of experience in managing and supervising volunteers;
- You have experience abroad;
- You have proven leadership qualities and experience in managing a multicultural team;
- Fluent in both spoken and written English. Knowledge of Dutch, Greek, Farsi, Somali or Arabic is a plus;
- You are in possession of a driving licence B;
- You have public speaking experience (in English);
- You are clear in your communication and do not shy away from difficult conversations;
- You are decisive and work independently;
- You have strong administrative skills and you are proficient in Excel, Word, Gmail and Google Drive.
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
- A fixed-term contract for nine months. An extension is possible, with a maximum commitment of twelve months.
- An appropriate salary, on the basis of a 40-hour working week, which matches the character and aims of our organisation.
- Reimbursement of your travel expenses (up to a maximum of EUR 500) and a contribution towards accommodation costs, which you will rent yourself. We will, of course, help you find it.
How to apply:
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Does this appeal to you? Then apply by Sunday 1 May 2022 via the form on our website:
Please send your motivation and CV in English.
As part of the application procedure, references will be requested and a case study and
an assessment will be made. We kindly ask you to include at least two references in your
letter and/or CV.
For more information about this position, please send an e-mail to
We look forward to receiving your application!