Job Title: Technical Advisor III – Capacity Strengthening and Learning
You will contribute to strategy implementation for Local Leadership at a global level and provide technical advice and leadership in aspects of the Partnership and Capacity Strengthening (PCS) Unit’s work at a global level, including as a focal point for a geographic area as needed, in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to Technical Advisors and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your expertise, advice and influence will significantly contribute to determining how effective, adaptive, and innovative CRS’ Partnership and Capacity Strengthening programming is across regions.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design, advocate for, and ensure implementation of agency-wide strategies, standards, tools, and best practices in partnership and capacity strengthening that effectively engage partners, donors, and governments. Ensure a cross-sectoral approach that integrates gender, protection mainstreaming, and disaster risk reduction.
- Provide technical solutions globally, for regional and/or CP teams for strategic planning and how to best apply and adapt program design and implementation standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools, and M&E in partnership and capacity strengthening particularly.
- Ensure that the Institute for Capacity Strengthening (ICS) content and approaches are in line with current thinking in the field of organizational development. Augment, adapt and/or curate (gathering a variety of materials into a coherent learning product) the capacity strengthening solutions products and other resources designed for partner organizations for both on the job application and the appropriate learning outcomes based on the defined knowledge skills and attitudes learning framework.
- Contribute to HQ, regional, and country program staff efforts to pre-position CRS for strategic growth opportunities in local partner capacity strengthening. Provide technical guidance in proposal development and project design with a focus on complex projects to ensure innovative programming solutions and technical excellence. Support CPs to appropriately staff project teams.
- Oversee and lead the delivery of capacity strengthening initiatives globally for staff and partners through helping develop learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums; organizing and/or facilitating trainings, workshops, and conferences; and mentoring and coaching staff in innovative CRS approaches and tools. Provide mentoring and coaching to technical advisors, as well as CP and regional staff. Ensure that capacity strengthening solutions packages are designed, tested, finalized, published, and used for effective capacity strengthening with partner organizations.
- This includes capacity strengthening solutions packages for USAID PEPFAR funded projects, such as those developed under the CRS’ Strong Local Primes Initiative and any other initiatives in close coordination with the PCS Unit’s High Performing Implementors Team Lead to ensure consistency of approach.
- Effectively manage consultant and temporary duty staff talent and supervise on various partnership and capacity strengthening, organizational development, and individual and organizational learning activities. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual statements of work, and complete performance assessment for direct reports. Coordinate the annual organization and implementation of the PCS Unit’s Perfecting Partnership global program for advanced PCS practitioners, which includes CRS and partner participants.
- Coordinate and support the PCS Unit’s Local Leadership Conversation Series to promote capacity building of staff and partners in partnership and capacity strengthening for Local Leadership
- Develop and promote the quarterly PCS Unit’s Newsletter for CRS staff and partners.
- Oversee and lead aspects of the agency knowledge management and learning agenda in partnership and capacity strengthening through helping implement conditions for collective learning that ensure the capturing, documenting, and sharing of key successes, promising practices, lessons learned, and evidence-based implementation research, internally and externally, including publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Coordinate with the Global People Resources and the Overseas Operations departments to ensure integration of staff learning in partnership and capacity strengthening with organizational learning systems and approaches including, for example in the Overseas Operations Capability Model, SAIL program, staff development systems, and learning pathways.
- Represent CRS in targeted regional or global forums to develop opportunities and better ensure collaboration and shared learning in partnership and capacity strengthening to influence technical partner approaches, future funding opportunities, and policies. Network with relevant organizations to increase CRS’ profile in partnership and capacity strengthening, influence in the regional or global partnership and capacity strengthening community, and donor diversification.
- Master’s Degree in development related field. PhD a plus.
- Minimum of seven years of work experience in partnership and capacity strengthening programming with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with three years overseas in multiple regions as a technical advisor and/or program manager in partnership and capacity.
- Strong understanding and application of technical principles and concepts in partnership and capacity. Good knowledge of related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Track record of contributing to successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding in capacity building.
Required Languages – English required, with proficiency in French, Spanish or Arabic preferred.
Travel – 25%
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.