Job Title: Team Leader – UNGO Jobs
- Seeking a dynamic Team Leader to lead a major multi-faceted health facility in Papua New Guinea – senior program management experience leading large scale multi-disciplinary teams in a complex environment – Contract duration up to June 2025
About the Program
The Papua New Guinea Australia Transition to Health (PATH) Program is one keyway in which Australia is investing in PNG’s security, stability, and prosperity by delivering support to PNG’s health sector. PATH supports locally generated and scaled health systems reform, working in partnership with the Government of PNG on high priority health issues including health security, communicable disease, family planning, sexual and reproductive health, and maternal and child health. This strong partnership is supporting PNG to improve the health and well-being of its citizens in line with PNG’s National Health Plan. PATH looks to attract staff who are committed to this vision, and who are also able to work in collaborative, creative and adaptive ways to contribute to better health outcomes for people in PNG.
About the Opportunity
The Team Leader will have overall responsibility for successful delivery of the program:
- In partnership with the Government of Australia (GoA) and the Government of Papua New Guinea (GoPNG) set overall strategic direction for PATH to achieve its End-Of-Investment Outcomes (EOIOs) and bring partners and PATH team along with this strategy – including by adjusting strategy and managing emerging risks to program effectiveness at implementation
- Establish and maintain effective partnerships with the broad range of partners involved in the program and provide high-level leadership to the PATH Executive Leadership Team
- Be the key point of contact for the Australian High Commission and GoPNG, support Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) bilateral relationship with the PNG Government, and contribute to policy development, policy dialogue, and policy influence, through PATH’s adaptive management and programming, MEL, and knowledge management and brokering approaches
Specific responsibilities of the Team Leader include:
- Set strategy for and oversee implementation of PATH projects/ activities against this strategy, to contribute to PATH EoPOs.
- Build and support a cohesive technical and operational team that is effective, efficient, and outcome oriented.
- Socialise and lead team to work in ways that align to PATH’s Ways of Working, GESI and Adaptive Management delivery strategies.
- Lead team and drive internal change management process to promote adaptive, GESI responsive approaches to delivery
- Lead team to ensure all contractual and legislative obligations (risk, fraud etc) are met on time and to an appropriate level
- Establish and maintain effective, trust-based relationship and dialogue with AHC.
- Advise AHC on strategic opportunities and risks to advance policy dialogue.
- Establish and maintain effective, trust-based relationship and dialogue with GoPNG.
- Support policy dialogue between GoA-GoPNG on health sector reform priorities.
- Ensure PATH works holistically within DFAT’s whole-of-health portfolio and support appropriate coordination and coherence of DFAT’s investments and contributions to PNG’s health priorities.
- Ensure PATH Executive engagement with the Australia Pacific Climate Partnership Support Unit to consider how PATH can reflect climate change and disaster risk reduction in PNG’s health sector.
- Lead PATH team to deliver programs in ways that adapt based on learning and responds (in consultation and agreement with AHC and GoPNG) to changes in the operating environment, including changes in priorities that may arise in the next PNG National Health Plan, and from decentralization and other reforms.
- Lead PATH team to deliver sustainable approaches that build the long-term capability of PNG’s health system to independently plan, budget, coordinate, and deliver primary health care to support PNG’s long-term economic and development objectives.
- Work closely with the VP Program Delivery and Growth on the timely development of Inception plan and Annual Plans for PATH Steering Committee approval, to guide achievement of the EOIOs and IOs relating to PHA capacity, accountability, women in leadership, equity, essential services, and health security.
- Drive innovation in program delivery, building upon existing and fostering new partnerships with the private sector, NGOs, CSOs, and government.
- Ensure value for money and quality in delivery of the program’s activities.
- Work with corporate services to ensure adequate resourcing to support PATH and, through the Contractor Representative, leverage technical expertise from Ninti and technical experts as required.
We are seeking an individual for this strategic position who has the following:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as public health, international development, social sciences, public policy.
- Substantial senior management experience managing large scale multi-faceted international development programs and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Working knowledge and experience with DFAT funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Relationship management experience with highly diverse internal and external stakeholders; demonstrated experience working in partnership with host governments, international donors, and implementing partners.
- Demonstrated ability to meet timelines with quality deliverables
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representatives, and staff.
- Demonstrated team leader with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills and proven record in leadership of people, building program team performance, and the ability to communicate and build a common vision.
Abt Associates a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries. For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, racial equity, and inclusion. We encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, skills, and knowledge, so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse, or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.
How to apply:
Please apply online through the Careers page of the Abt Associates website, using a cover letter and up-to-date comprehensive CV as a single document, addressing how you meet the requirements of this role: https://egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions/job/101472/?keyword=Team+Leader
This position does not have a closing date, please apply as soon as possible.