1. Reporting Line:
The Strategic Maritime Adviser / Head of Maritime Security and Coast Guard Unit reports to the Head of Field Office Hargeisa.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To operationalise the Mission mandate and tasks as set out in the planning documents and the Mission Implementation Plan (MIP) by advising and mentoring local counterpart(s) on the strategic and operational level as appropriate;
· To support the Mission’s efforts in addressing areas of structural weaknesses in the performance and accountability of counterparts/institutions and to propose solutions for strengthening same;
· To provide analysis and recommendations to the local counterpart in the area of responsibility;
· To be embedded within the local institution;
· To ensure timely reporting on activities within the field of responsibility as per planning documents, in particular progress and/or lack of progress;
· To maintain necessary contacts and build relationships with relevant local counterparts;
· To ensure compliance with instruction/direction from Mission management;
· To lead and coordinate the work of the other Senior Advisers and Advisers in MSCGU;
· To identify best practice and lessons learned within the field of responsibility;
· To design and deliver training, as appropriate;
· To research and assess the performance of Somaliland’s maritime security governance mechanism and institutions, and recommend on the development of maritime security good governance capacity;
· To work in close cooperation with the Strategic Maritime Adviser and with the EUCAP police advisory, coast guard/port security and rule of law teams;
· To advise on development and implementation of strategy and policy on maritime security in line with the Somaliland Maritime Resources and Security Strategy (SMRSS) the Somaliland National Security Policy and Somaliland National Development Plan II (or similar);
· To support the development and the implementation of comprehensive strategies and mechanisms for good governance of civilian maritime law enforcement institutions;
· To support the Somaliland civilian maritime law enforcement institutions to develop their strategic management capacities;
· To promote effective cooperation between Somaliland maritime resources and security institutions through advice on clear division of maritime institutional roles and responsibilities among ministries, agencies, and other relevant actors;
· To assess the functioning, organisation, strategic management capacity and needs of the Somaliland maritime security institutions, and identify and advise upon sustainable capacity development plans;
· To build strong working relationships with relevant actors in Somaliland and other key stakeholders (including international stakeholders, other EU bodies, UN organisations, countries involved in bilateral activities).
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To identify and report on lessons learned and best practices within the respective area of responsibility;
· To contribute and ensure timely reporting on activities within the respective area of responsibility;
· To take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
· To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of university studies of at least 4 years attested by a diploma OR a qualification in the National Qualifications Framework which is equivalent to level 7 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the second cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area, e.g. Master’s Degree, OR equivalent and attested police or/and military education or training or an award of an equivalent rank; AND
· A minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience, out of which a minimum of 2 years at coordination/management level, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to effectively advise senior decision makers, negotiation and diplomacy skills;
· Strong team player and able to work alone and ability to work with a range of people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds;
· Knowledge of government coordination processes;
· Organisational, planning and project development skills.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· Previous experience in policy and strategy development or related field;
· Experience in project management;
· Experience with maritime administration, coordination and governance;
· International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multinational and/or international organizations.
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of policies, strategies and organisational aspects of maritime governance, administration, security and Coast Guard functions.
How to apply:
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS FOR EU CITIZENS ONLY:
You have the nationality of an EU Member State: You must use Goalkeeper to apply:
a) You are already registered on Goalkeeper AND you have an EU Login:
b) You do not have a Goalkeeper account or an EU Login:
You do not have the nationality of an EU Member State:
only seconded nationals of a non-EU Contributing Third State can be proposed by their National Seconding Authority (no personal applications will be considered): please contact your
seconding authority to send them your application form.
Please note: Seconded positions are only available for candidates already validated in
the database of their Seconding Authority. Please contact your national Seconding
Authority for more information on applying for vacant Seconded positions. We cannot
provide contact details of national Seconding Authorities.
General Information on working in a CSDP Mission: