Job Title: Slovakia Lead (Ukraine Response) – UNGO Jobs
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is searching for a Slovakia Response Coordinator to lead the overall response to the refugee crisis in the country. The Response Coordinator will report to the Regional Response Director and coordinate closely with Habitat for Humanity International Disaster Risk Reduction and Response (DR3) staff and surge support staff.
The Slovakia Response Coordinator will partner with implementing agencies and coordinating bodies (NGOs, UN and Slovak government ) and advise on overall direction to the implementation of response programs to the influx of refugees from Ukraine. This individual will ensure appropriate, quality and timely program delivery as well as identify and address organizational capacity gaps in order to position the organization for success in the implementation of the response plan.
The position will coordinate with the Safeguarding Advisor to support and advise on the implementation of Habitat’s commitment to mainstreaming safeguarding in the entity with a focus on the Ukraine’s crisis responses. Additionally, the Slovakia Response Coordinator will provide representation in inter-agency coordination for Slovakia.
This position will be based in Bratislava, Slovakia and will require 20% travel.
- Serve as the overall lead of the Slovakia Response Program, coordinate with implementing partners to ensure quality programming and integrated programming approach.
- Provide regular management/operational inputs to the Regional Response Coordinator when required.
- Monitor development of Slovakia government and sector response, current refugee influx situation, initial and continued assessments and strategies and connect needs identified on the ground with HFHI’s programming capabilities.
- Ensure program design and implementation remains responsive to current needs on the ground. Introduce modifications/adaptations as needed.
- Lead and coordinate implementation of the response plan programmatic components according to established goals and objectives in a timely manner and allocating resources as needed.
- Connect with government and UN coordination and other non-governmental organizations responses to ensure proper HFHI representation and alignment in coordination mechanisms, especially on shelter and provision of accommodation services for refugees.
- Identify and liaise with existing and potential partners to coordinate and complement project implementation on shelter and housing needs of Ukrainian refugees.
- Identify potential partnerships related with protection, psychosocial support, children related programming, or safeguarding.
- Coordinate with related programmatic areas in support of implementation, with emphasis on quality Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL), safety & security, and safeguarding.
- Work with management to develop an internal system for gathering, analyzing and systematizing information from Slovakia response that is fed into the consolidated regional Habitat response.
- Channel required information as needed (e.g. progress reports, content for development of communication pieces, etc.)
Coordination, Partnerships and Advocacy
- In support of the advocacy team, provide representation before national and local coordination mechanisms and foster engagement with the shelter and housing sector.
- Advocate for safe, affordable and decent shelter solutions for the refugee population.
- Partner with the Director of Central Eastern Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States (CEE/ CIS) to maintain country level partnerships with key players in the response and recovery area.
- Support HFH in sharing experiences and link with other actors (UN, NGOs) engaged in the response to the Ukraine refugee crisis.
Resource Mobilization and Fundraising
- Support the Resource Development Director to identify fundraising/resource mobilization possibilities to support projects/programs in support of the Ukraine refugees’ pathway to permanent shelter.
- Degree and/or postgraduate qualification in Development, Social Sciences, Economy or equivalent.
- 3+ years of professional experience in leadership of civil society organizations in Slovakia.
- Good understanding of the national civil society and socio-political and governance environment in Slovakia and CEE region.
- Strong analytical skills and capacity to translate analysis into action.
- Team leadership and team building skills.
- Experience in resource mobilization.
- Experience in managing and coaching people including distance management.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural and cross-functional environment.
- Drive for change and improvements and ability to deliver strategies in a challenging environment.
- Computer knowledge as a user in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Teams.
- Fluency in Slovak and English both written and verbal.
Active support of HFHI Values & Commitments:
- Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
- Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
- Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
- Safeguarding: HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
- Experience in program management, strategy development, developing tools and guidance, providing technical assistance, and establishing and maintaining networks.
- Fluency in regional languages (Russian, Polish, Hungarian).