Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
Frequent travel within Kenya and to Togo, Ethiopia and Madagascar.
Justdiggit (www.justdiggit.org) is a fast-growing NGO working on landscape restoration in Africa. We are looking for an experienced program manager to lead our efforts in impact communication.
Justdiggit helps farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa to restore degraded landscapes using rainwater harvesting, agroforestry and climate resilient agriculture. We have successfully been working on landscape restoration programs at scale in Kenya and Tanzania for the past years and are now expanding to other countries.
Using communication to scale impact
In all projects we aim to be as innovative as possible with a distinct emphasis on communication to complement more traditional program approaches. This ranges from the use of video tours, SMS-services, billboards, national campaigns and radio programming to the use of digital technology such as smartphone and smart feature phone applications.
We have set up a new line of activities which we call Boosting Other Programs. Here we work in consortia on implementing landscape restoration programs, that are led by other (I)NGOs. In these consortia we focus on our role as expert in impact communication and help to scale the impact of the field work done by our consortium partners.
We have recently started working with GIZ in Togo, Ethiopia and Madagascar with this approach, supporting the Forests4Future-program. In May of this year we also expect to start in Kenya with this approach, in a consortium with amongst others WorldVision, Selfhelp Africa, ICRAF and the Greenbelt Movement.
How we work
We believe in the power of diverse teams comprising of people with different specialties. We call this
Landscape teams. A Landscape team is headed by a Landscape Manager and typically consists of a person for technical & quality aspects, finance, communications, technology, monitoring & evaluation and business development. These persons work in multiple landscape teams throughout the Justdiggit organization. In this role, you will be heading the Landscape team Boosting Other Programs.
As an African-European organization, our staff is based in multiple countries but our main hubs are the Amsterdam office and the Regional Office East Africa in Nairobi. This means that a landscape team works across continents and a lot of the communication is done remote.
· Oversee and manage all Justdiggit Boosting Other Programs activities in the role of Landscape Manager Boosting Other Programs. This comprises of but is not limited to all the general aspects of program management, such as:
o Stakeholder management outside and inside the organization;
o Leadership of the Landscape Team Boosting Other Programs;
o Project development and design in close cooperation with our partners;
o Contracting partners and performing due diligence;
o Working with partners and local staff to ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget;
o Narrative and financial reporting to our donors and consortium partners;
o Working with business development to develop new propositions and attract new funders.
· Execute on the Forest4Future program with GIZ in Madagascar, Togo and Ethiopia and our new program (to be named) with WorldVision and other partners in Kenya;
· Further develop the concept of Boosting Other Programs for potential new partnership as well as developing new tools and strategies for impact communication;
· Develop and execute a 2030 growth strategy for Boosting Other Programs in close cooperation with the Justdiggit management team.
Your main duty station will be Nairobi, in which you will work from the Regional Office East Africa. You will travel frequently to our projects and partners in the field in Kenya, Togo, Ethiopia and Madagascar.
Required experience and skills
· >10 years of work experience, of which >5 years as a program manager in international development;
· Knowledge of, experience in or strong affinity with landscape restoration, soil- and water conservation and/or agro-forestry programs in developing countries;
· Knowledge of and experience with the use of communication to realise impact of development programs;
· Relevant educational background with at minimum a BSc-level;
· A people manager with Experience in leading international teams;
· Entrepreneurial, independent and proactive, able to create something out of nothing with a strong vision on impact. As our lead in Boosting Other Programs you will do a lot of pioneering work;
· Easy to work with and culturally sensitive: you will work across continents and time zones with farmers, partner organizations and Justdiggit staff from all over the world;
· Fluent in English, French and preferably also in Kiswahili.
· Be part of a great mission: regreen our planet!
· As part of a fast-growing organization, there will be ample room for personal and professional development.
· Great colleagues and a diverse team.
How to apply:
If you believe you are the right person for this role, please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com before May 15th 2022.