Save the Children seeks an experienced Health & Nutrition Programme Manager to lead the implementation and budget management of health and nutrition programming from Save the Children’s Country Office in Kabul. In this capacity, s/he will directly oversee the implementation, procurement planning, monitoring and evaluation of health and nutrition activities across Afghanistan. S/he will manage a portfolio totalling to $1mil+ USD and be responsible for the submission of high-quality, on-time donor reports. Where projects are implemented with partners, s/he will also be expected to deliver quality partnerships in line with Save the Children’s partnership principles.
Working closely to guide Provincial Offices, s/he will be expected to travel regularly to the field, and support relationship-building with MoPH, DoPH, I/LNGOs and UN agencies. The successful candidate will have experience in both humanitarian and development programming.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Programme Implementation and Monitoring
* Provide strategic guidance and strong leadership to Health and Nutrition teams in the field and partner focal points to ensure the delivery of programme targets and technically sound decision-making processes
* Ensure that effective monitoring and performance management systems are in place for achieving agreed programme activity targets, budget allocations and financial expenditures, ensuring that value for money can be effectively demonstrated to the donor and activities and expenditures are compliant with donor requirements
* Maintain efficient and effective operating systems that are compliant with all Save the Children Minimum Operating Standards across the consortium, including safety and security management and child safeguarding
* Lead the preparation, review and regular revision of the detailed implementation plan, risk mitigation plan and procurement plan, considering agreed milestones, log frame and budget
* Monitor project progress through field visits and meetings with project staff across the country, including communities, partners, local and provincial government and other key stakeholders
* Lead on revisions of core implementation documents (milestones, log frame, budget, DIP)
* Ensure that key risks are identified at the start of the project(s) and reviewed and mitigated throughout the project cycle
* Ensure that security reports are immediately reported to the Safety & Safety Team when known
* Ensure the effective and donor-compliant management of the project budget through close collaboration with partner focal points and the Finance department
* Prepare and implement monthly pipeline analyses and monthly spending targets
* Identify potential Variances of expenses versus budget, and recommend appropriate adjustments at AIR meetings
* Justify spending variances </> 10% in quarterly donor reports
Reporting and Documentation
* Play a leading role in the finalisation of donor narrative and financial reports, the submission of budget revisions, and other donor-required documentation
* Support MEAL in the writing of donor progress reports and document case studies of successes, challenges, lessons learned and other project-related feedback
* Coordinate with the Media and Communications team for the publication of best practices and lessons learned for a variety of external stakeholders and audiences
Human Resource Management
* Ensure that the programme is appropriately staffed across Afghanistan, including the appropriate combination of expertise across technical and operational areas
* Ensure that all direct reports have updated job descriptions, work plans, objectives, development goals and clear lines of communication and reporting
* Support the capacity building of staff in English report writing; budget utilisation; indicator tracking; and the preparation of detailed implementation plans
* Ensure that Memorandums of Understanding are secured with relevant line ministries in a timely manner
* Ensure that appropriate capacity-strengthening initiatives are afforded to partners as part of ongoing project implementation
* Coordinate effectively with other NGOs and UN agencies that are working in Health and Nutrition
* Maintain oversight of Save the Children Afghanistan’s pharmaceutical supplies in country
* Promote and push for the awareness and utilisation of Child Safeguarding reporting mechanisms
* Liaise with the PDQA department to input into funding proposals
* Support the Health & Nutrition Technical Adviser to ensure that all activities are reported to relevant Cluster(s)
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
* Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
* Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
* Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
* Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
Communication & Collaboration:
* Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters by adapting effective communication strategies considering the context.
* Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
* Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* Willing to take disciplined risks.
* Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree or equivalent in education, gender or development studies or a related subject
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* Demonstrable experience of developing and managing major donor contracts and grants in excess of $1mil
* 7+ years of remote project management experience
* Experience of project and financial management
* Ability and willingness to spend time in the field
* Strong skills in coordinating and collaborating with others in partnership
* Proven track record of solving complex problems through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
* Training, facilitation, briefing and presentation skills
* Experience in proposal development for institutional donors such as OFDA, ECHO, DFID etc.
* Demonstrated experience of building and leading a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise
* Computer skills, i.e. Microsoft suite
* Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto
* Knowledge of current trends, activities and best health and nutrition practices in Afghanistan
* Experience in Clusters
* Positive relationships with MoPH, DoPH etc.
* Previous experience in NNGOs/INGOs, UN etc.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
Closing Date for Application: 23 March 2022
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=ZmsuNjAxOTAuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuYW8uYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t