Job Title: Senior Finance Officer (National Position) – UNGO Jobs
Light for the World is a global development organisation. We empower people with disabilities and enable eye health services in low-income countries. Over the last three decades we improved health systems, enabled education for all, and amplified the voices of people with disabilities
Our programmes include:
- Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
- Inclusive Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
- Inclusive Economic Empowerment – ensuring that barriers are removed for men and women with disabilities to access decent work
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact.
In Uganda, our country strategy for the year 2021-2025 focuses on Eye health, Inclusive Economic Empowerment, Disability Inclusion and Inclusive Education.
Currently, Light for the World Uganda implements projects on eye health, inclusive economic empowerment and disability inclusion with a presence in 21 districts. We are in the process of expanding our team in Uganda and looking for a committed person to fill this role and be part of this growth.
Senior Finance Officer (1 National Position)
Based in Kampala, Uganda (40 hours a week)
The Senior Finance Officer’s (SFO) main responsibility is safeguarding the assets of Light for the World (LFTW) and ultimately the donors against fraud, loss or misuse and to ensure proper documentation and processing of the finances of the organization. The SFO is primarily responsible for, but is not limited to, payments for activities and operations, petty cash and activity advance reconciliations, and supporting the Finance and Operations Manager in carrying out the responsibilities of the finance department. The SFO is aware of and adheres to LFTW’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
S/he reports directly to the Finance and Operations Manager (FOM) and will directly manage the Finance Officer and Finance Assistant.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Ensures that funds expended in the country is done in accordance with “Generally Accepted Accounting Principles”, LFTW policy, donor regulations and requirements, Ugandan law, standard operating procedures, and best business practices.
Monitor the bank and mobile money accounts to ensure funds are available for operations and review and reconcile on a monthly basis.
Support the FOM with annual budgeting and preparing the quarterly forecast.
Ensures that all advances are cleared / collected on time and prepare advance analysis on a monthly basis.
Prepare the monthly financial report for submission to the Vienna office, project trackers and adhoc reports.
Ensure timely payment and filing of statutory deductions and withholding tax, prepare withholding tax certificates for all appropriate payments and distribute these accordingly.
Ensure that all costs and travels have adequate prior authorization and approval prior to payment remittance. Follow up all discrepancies identified.
Ensure that every financial transaction is properly approved by a budget-holder signatory, is properly documented, files are complete and demonstrates evidence of compliance with LFTW policy, donor regulations, Ugandan law, and standard operating procedures.
Ensures that all payments for purchases of goods and services are made promptly and according to LFTW regulations, and that actions are governed by the highest standards of personal and business conduct as stipulated in the Policy Guidelines and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity
· A degree in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent accounting qualifications;
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a similar role or recognized NGO role which explicitly involved donor-funded projects.
- Capacity to multi-task, excellent time management skills and be able to adhere to tight deadlines.
- A strong accounting experience, knowledge of QuickBooks and experience in dealing with complex budgets are added advantages.
- Demonstrated experience to provide technical assistance to organizations and conduct trainings.
- Experience in maintaining excellent communication with Headquarters.
- Excellent people skills with experience in collaborating in a diverse and dynamic team
- Innovative and strategic thinker always ready to adapt and learn.
- Technology savvy with proficiency in the use of MS Excel and other Office software packages.
- High levels of integrity and accountability.
- Commitment to Light for the World’s mandate and values.
What we can offer as an employer:
We offer an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation with strong expertise, a growing profile, and a dedicated team.
Entry date: June 1, 2022
How to apply:
We are looking forward to receiving your application by April 27, 2022 at the latest. Please apply using https://lftw.hrmagic.co/careers. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with disabilities and women to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.