Job Title: Researcher IDMC – UNGO Jobs
IDMC’s research team produces actionable data, policy relevant analyses and tools to support planning and decision making and help prevent, prepare for and respond to internal displacement linked with conflict, violence, disasters and other causes. Key research themes include climate change, peacebuilding, return and durable solutions, urban displacement and the socioeconomic impacts of displacement on different groups of affected people including women, men, LGBTIQ communities, children, youth and people with disabilities.
IDMC is now looking for an experienced Researcher with demonstrated research, analysis and writing skills as well as solid experience in project management and developing own research projects and methods to join the research team.
What you will do:
Working closely with the Research Manager you will lead research on the risks, drivers and impacts of internal displacement linked with conflict, violence, sudden or slow onset disasters, produce actionable data, policy relevant analyses and tools and disseminate research findings and key messages.
The main roles and responsibilities for this position are:
- Lead research on the risks, drivers and impacts of internal displacement linked with conflict, violence, sudden or slow onset disasters.
- Produce actionable data, policy relevant analyses and tools to help prevent, prepare for and respond to internal displacement in various contexts.
- Disseminate research findings and key messages through high quality publications and presentations at technical and political events.
- Manage specific research projects and develop future research plans.
- Support the department in fundraising and positioning of IDMC with external partners, including by building research partnerships in countries affected by internal displacement.
If you are curious and would like to learn more about this opportunity, please see here for the full job description.
What you will bring:
IDMC is looking for a Researcher with a solid understanding of the risks, drivers and impacts of internal displacement in different contexts and proven experience collecting, analysing and presenting information on internal displacement. The successful candidate will possess a strong ability to question, understand and evaluate quantitative and qualitative research on internal displacement, and will have solid experience in project management, including overseeing budgets and project timelines, as well as in developing own research projects and methods.
In addition, you will have:
- Master’s degree related to displacement, international development, migration, humanitarian affairs, or related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a related field, including research or humanitarian work in displacement settings.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to translate large amounts of data and analysis in an accessible way for non-technical audiences.
- Strong initiative and collaborative working style.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of another language a plus.
- Experience engaging with government representatives or high-level officials.
- Experience working in countries affected by internal displacement.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advancing practical, data-based solutions to internal displacement;
- A 12-month, fixed term position with IDMC in Geneva;
- Salary and benefits according to NRC/IDMC’s salary scale and terms and conditions.
- Flexible working hours.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter and register your complete CV in the online recruitment tool.
For reasons related to the procedure for work permits in Switzerland, only candidates with an EU/EFTA nationality or a valid work permit for Geneva, Switzerland can be considered for this role. Kindly ensure to specify your permit type in the application if relevant.
We look forward to receiving your application!