GrassRoots Research (www.grassroots-research.org), is a multi-disciplinary research firm providing research and consulting services in complex and challenging environments, on various thematic sectors in development and humanitarian aid. Since inception, GrassRoots has invested in developing contextually appropriate and logistically feasible methodologies and approaches to research, while adhering to international standards of social science research and utilizing the latest technology available. We conduct quantitative and qualitative research and evaluations to assess the achievements and impact of our clients’ projects and the relevance of their interventions to the communities that they serve. We also provide actionable recommendations for their future programming.
GrassRoots is always looking for opportunities to expand our geographical scope in other locations in Africa, while continuing our work in Somalia/Somaliland. Moreover, we are also on the lookout for reliable and hard-working individuals to join our team that can help us in delivering services to our clients. We are looking for a Research Officer to join our team in Hargeisa, Somaliland to implement research projects across Somalia/Somaliland and other countries in East and West Africa.
Job Description: The Research Officer is responsible for the full life cycle of research support and implementation, including designing tools, training and managing field teams, ensuring data quality, conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis, and writing reports.
International and national staff work together in data collection tool design, fieldwork plan development, and data quality assurance to deliver locally led and informed products. We are looking for someone who is able to work in a multi-cultural environment and can adapt to fieldwork challenges and unforeseen changes while conducting research. Our ideal candidate is a team player with great attention to detail, strong communication skills, and eagerness to continue honing their skills while learning new ones on the job.
Location: This is a full-time position based in our Hargeisa, Somaliland office. The Research Officer reports to the Research Manager.
Description of Main Duties:
· Perform background research to inform research and evaluation design that addresses key research questions.**
· Provide support in context analysis to inform GrassRoots’ expansion to other geographic locations.**
· Draft project inception reports and qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, and work closely with national staff to ensure timely and accurate translation of tools.**
· In collaboration with national staff, manage data collection field teams, provide data quality assurance during fieldwork, and ensure the timely and cost-effective implementation of field activities.**
· Analyze qualitative and quantitative data and write reports, with technical guidance from the Research Manager if needed.**
· Communicate with clients on project implementation and timelines, as necessary.**
· Contribute to developing technical proposals and identifying opportunities for business development.**
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with prior research experience (MA preferred)
· Interest in research methodology, data analysis, and learning new tools/software
· Basic knowledge of SPSS, Stata, or R
· Eagerness to engage in research across a multitude of sectorial areas
· Experience collecting quantitative or qualitative data will be considered an asset
· Experience collaborating with and managing diverse, multi-cultural teams preferred
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and take initiative
· Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks
· Prior experience living and working abroad, preferably in a developing country
· Cultural sensitivity
· Fluency in written and spoken English
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter through this link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.