Job Title: Regional Focal Point / State Level Coordinator – UNGO Jobs
- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position:
Since 2012, Somalia has taken important initiatives to adopt policies, regulations & institutional structures that are essential in state building process. Those linked to climate actions, include, National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA), Initial Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC) report to UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), draft National Climate Change Policy, National Environment Policy, draft Environment Act, Initial National Communication (INC) & and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) update report to UNFCCC. our client & the Directorate of Environment & Climate Change (DOECC) received funds from Green Climate Fund (GCF) for strengthening climate change adaptation planning for the Federal Republic of Somalia. The project consists of 3 primary outcomes to address the barriers to adaptation planning & mainstreaming. These consist of:
- Enhancing national institutional coordination & capacities for adaptation planning, through establishment of legal & institutional frameworks for NAP, strengthening Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) capacities & interagency coordination among key agencies, development of tools, methodologies & information platform to support NAP process.
- Strengthening state level technical capacities for climate change adaptation, through development of states level CCA frameworks harmonized with national framework, formulation of preliminary climate change adaptation plans at states level & mainstreaming CCA into institutional & governance systems at states level.
- Strengthening financial planning for CCA, through Fformulation of NAP implementation financing plan & advancing enabling conditions for NAP financing
- The role ot the Focal Points is to coordinate & support adaptation planning at state level to plan, implement & monitor progress on climate change adaptation under the guidance of the National Project Manager, in accordance with the project document. The main tasks include but are not limited to facilitate the implementation of enabling activities for capacity development & support climate change for adaptation. The overall goal of establishing focal points is to facilitate long term integration of adaptation into development processes, taking into consideration gender & social dimensions, as specified in the national climate change adaptation strategy.
- Statel evel CCA frameworks developed.
- State level CCA coordination frameworks established.
- State level steering mechanism established & populated.
- State level outreach plans (x 6) developed.
- State level scoping reviews of CCA activities.
- State level adaptation planning roadmaps formulated.
- Vulnerability assessment methodology & guidelines developed.
- State level vulnerability assessments completed.
- State level validation workshops.
- State lists (x 6) of priority project concept notes (at least 3 per state) formulated.
- State adaptation plans (x 6) published.
- State focal points appointed.
- State legal, institutional reviews & recommendations formulated (x 6).
- Legal & institutional review workshops (x 6).
- State specific CCA training modules developed.
- State level capacity development workshops.
- CCA planning & budget toolkit for our client led Consolidating & Enhancing State Building in Somalia (CESBS).
- Climate tagging procedure & guidance developed.
- National Adpatioan Program of Actions (NAPA) / Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) financing review formulated & submitted to DOECC.
- Financing strategy for national adaptation plan formulated.
- Barriers assessment & recommendations report submitted to DOECC.
- Somalia climate change fund design plan submitted to Government of Federal Republic of Somalia (GoFRS).
- Technical workshops for university economists conducted on economic analysis, costing & other topics.
- Climate proofing / screening tools & guidelines developed for Sustainable Insurance Facility (SIF) & other investment projects.
- The Regional Focal Point will work under the overall guidance & supervision of the National Project Manager & will work closly with project team & DOECC.
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences / Policy / Management or related field is essential, Master’s Degree of Climate Change / Environmental Science / Management is desirable.
- Certificate in Environmental Impact assessment (EIA) is desirable.
- Certificate in Project management e.g., PMP is desirable.
- At least 5 years of relevant practical professional work experience in the disciplines of environmental science / management, natural resource management, climate change or working in a relevant position to this post.
- A abroad of understanding of coordination involving with complex stakeholders, preferably the govt. institutions.
- Must have 3 – 4 years working of coordination positions or relevant post all essential.
- 8 years of experience & strong knowledge about the political & socio economic context related to the Somali climate change developme context, including legal & policy enforcement at national & subnational levels is desirable.
- Working with states level. Each focal point should have at least 3 years working with states level institutions is essential.
- Working with Ministries of Environment, Agriculture, Planning & Livestock at state level is desirable
- Excellent verbal & writing skills, both in English & Somali.
- Contributing to positive outcomes for the client.
- Anticipates client needs.
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients & service provider.
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
- Solicits feedback on service provision & quality.
- Ability to present coherent & convincing positions both in writing & orally.
- Demonstrable networking capability, interpersonal skills & strong ability to promote teamwork.
- High degree of integrity, discretion & personal conduct.
- Flexible to changing working conditions, willing & able to travel for work purposes.
- Able to prioritize & meet deadlines.
- Excellent analytical thinking skills.
- Professional facilitation & presentation skills.
- Ability to coach, mentor & influence people.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: