Job Title: Regional Finance Manager (Africa) – UNGO Jobs
It’s an exciting time to be part of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI)! Habitat is working on implementing its Global Impact 2025 initiative. This is a dramatic change initiative aimed at tripling our scale, impact and funding by 2025, in order to build a common programmatic identity with people-centered development and systemic change at its heart; and to build one integrated network with the operational capabilities and technical skills required to deliver on that vision.
We are looking for candidates who are driven, resourceful and want desperately to help as many families as possible build strength and stability through housing. We want people who are uncompromisingly committed to Habitat for Humanity’s vision and core values of courage (to do what’s right), accountability (to take personal responsibility for the mission and our actions) and humility (to remember that we are part of something bigger than ourselves). Together, we will achieve a world where everyone has a decent place to live. www.habitat.org.
About the Role:
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking a talented finance professional for the role of Regional Finance Manager. This position is responsible for providing financial management support to the national directors and national finance managers to improve financial performance in the branches and National Organizations (NO) in the Africa region.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will require 30% travel.
Financial Management and Technical Oversight:
- Provides ongoing finance support to HFHI branches and national organizations.
- Performs quality control reviews of branch/national organization financial reports, including producing the financial and statistical indicators. Follow up with HFHI branch and national organizations finance to ensure all issues raised during the review process are addressed.
- Monitors and ensure all HFHI branch/national organization financial operations are carried out according to HFHI policies/procedures, accepted international accounting standards and within local laws.
- Supports and review budget performance by each branch or national organization, ensuring that monthly project management reports are issued and reviewed as a best practice.
- Supports the implementation of internal control policies and procedures and perform periodic compliance check of the same.
- Ad-hoc reviews of business processes to ensure effective and efficient flow of financial and business data into the accounting system, and in compliance with project-based funding principles.
- Performs reviews of branch/national organization accounting system and maintenance to ensure accurate revaluation, reporting and compliance.
Audits (External and Internal):
- Coordinates the planning, preparation and completion of HFHI branch audits in line with HFHI external audit policy whilst ensuring that all timelines are met.
- Reviews reconciliation and consolidation of audit reports in support of HFHI annual external audit timelines and standards.
- Reviews reconciliations of independent external audits to ledger to ensure that audit adjustments are correctly posted.
- Reviews external audit management letter recommendations with various teams and monitor to ensure that outstanding audit management issues are resolved in a timely manner, updating management and internal controls unit on progress.
- Reviews internal audit reports of branches/national organizations and support internal controls unit in resolving issues.
Financial Planning and Budgeting:
- Supports the development of branch/national organization annual plans and budgets.
- Ensures that budgets are reviewed for consistency within existing/planned business activity, account/project/fund codes and fund accounting practices.
- Highlights significant variances and cash management issues.
- Coordinates completion of national organization forecasting.
International Fund Transfers:
- Reviews and approval of international transfer requests from branches and national organizations.
- Ensures all transfers are tracked and reported accurately at branch/NO level.
Policies and Procedures:
- Supports Africa branches and national organizations around governance, risk management and compliance function in the roll-out of new policies & procedures.
- Assists with reviewing the effectiveness and efficiency of the controls.
- Provides on-going advice and consultancy on financial issues to the Africa branches and national organizations including accounting, reporting, cash-flow, systems, policies & procedures, internal controls etc.
- Identifies branch/national organization staff training needs and address the financial training needs by conducting such training or finding alternative resources for such trainings.
- Assists in recruitment process at branch and national organization level.
- Provides support to the Africa branches and national organizations in the management of implementing partners.
- Provides support in managing grants. This includes, but not limited to, overseeing grant budget preparation, budget implementation and supporting grant management in monitoring and reviewing grants.
- Facilitates implementation of project based funding business process.
- Provides support in developing and implementation of healthy credit portfolio management practices.
- Provides financial and operational support when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field.
- CPA/chartered accountant.
- 5 years’ experience in international accounting or financial management.
- 2 years’ experience in grant management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of finance, accounting and GAAP reporting.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical skills, detail oriented and ability to work and interpret numbers, figures and other financial information.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and experience working with several different accounting software packages.
- Strong Communication skills – both oral and written.
Active support of HFHI values and commitments:
Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
Safeguarding – HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
- Work experience with INGOs.
- Experience in using SunSystems or equivalent. Experience in installation and training on computerized accounting systems is an added advantage.
- Experience in conducting trainings for both finance and non-finance audiences.
- 2 years’ auditing experience.
Application Deadline: 29 April 2022
How to apply:
To be considered for this role, please be sure to apply via the link: Regional Finance Manager (Africa) | Habitat for Humanity