Job Title: Psychosocial and Protection Delegate for Danish Red Cross supported programmes in Sudan – based in Khartoum – UNGO Jobs
Danish Red Cross (DRC) is looking for an experience candidate to serve as a Psychosocial (PSS) and Protection Delegate in Sudan to support its PSS portfolio in collaboration with the Sudanese Red Crescent Society (SRCS). The PSS and Protection delegate will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the set-up and quality of PSS activities within the programme and provide institutional support to the SRCS on MHPSS.
DRC’s is present in Sudan since the mid-80s, working in partnership with Sudanese Red Crescent Society across 7 Sudanese states (Northern, River Nile, Red Sea, Kassala, Gedaref, Khartoum and White Nile). Since 2016, DRC is the leading partner in PSS/protection and migration sectors, with a well-established portfolio and several interesting funding opportunities upcoming in the short and medium period.
DRC operates in close coordination with other Movement Partners present in the country, in particular in close partnership with the Sudanese Red Crescent Society (SRCS). Current donors for DRC funded programmes include European Union, DANIDA, and funding from other Red Cross Red Crescent Societies.
The delegate will be based in Khartoum but, it is expected to travel to project areas 60% of the time to monitor project activities and provide technical support to the SRCS’s project teams.
The PSS and Protection Delegate reports directly to the Country Manager in Sudan and coordinates closely with the other Technical and Programme Delegates in Sudan in the country, contributing to the overall reporting and proposal development of DRC in Sudan in collaboration with the SRCS and the country office team.
Under the supervision of the DRC Country Manager, you will be responsible for the following – but not limited to:
- In collaboration with the SRCS PSS Coordinator, support the implementation of the project in While Nile (and potentially other states) and provide technical support to the project staff and volunteers.
- Ensure optimum efficiency of donor funds, effective budgeting and financial controls, and maintenance of compliance.
- Ensure that the activities in the PSS/Protection project are quality-sounded and implemented in line with the Fundamental Principle of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and other relevant guidelines.
- In collaboration with SRCS PSS Coordinator, identify SRCS’ institutional capacity needs, support SRCS in building sustainable MHPSS capacity, and scaling up interventions.
- Based on identified training needs of SRCS staff, coordinate and support thematic and competencies trainings on PSS/protection (and facilitate, when required).
- Develop/adapt tools and material to be used in the implementation of PSS activities, as required and agreed with SRCS.
- Jointly with SRCS, coordinate activities and initiatives with key stakeholders working in the target states and on a national level.
- In collaboration with SRCS, assess PSS/protection needs in other states, explore opportunities and develop funding proposals/concept notes.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s Degree in Psychology, anthropology, social work or similar.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in MHPSS programmes and activities, preferably in an international humanitarian or emergency related context.
- Practical field experience in the field of working with refugees, migrants and displaced people in the area of protection and MHPSS.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring and building skills of staff and volunteers, as well as facilitating of trainings.
- Proven skills in developing PSS training curriculums and Information, Education and Communication (IEC) and training materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent coordination, negotiation, networking and facilitation skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required, Arabic is an advantage.
- Self-supporting in computers (fluent in Microsoft Package).
- Strong Humanitarian project management skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change, proven ability to work and live in a stressful environment with sometimes limited access to internet and basic living conditions and few recreational activities.
- Knowledge about the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is an added value.
- Experience from working in African countries is an asset.
- The candidate having International Mobilization and Preparation for ACTion (IMPACT) and Hazardous Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) or other security training will be highly preferred.
- Possess a valid international driving license is necessary.
An excellent communicator with great facilitation skills and a diplomatic flair (good sense of humor).
Good cultural understanding, high commitment, and respect of local culture with the ability to build the confidence of partners in a challenging and politically sensitive environment.
Strong interpersonal and coordination skills, as well as patience and a positive and solution-oriented personality.
Must be able to deploy to Sudan and to perform under demanding working conditions.
Successful candidate must be able to live in a modest environment with limited occasions of social interaction.
The delegate will report to Danish Red Cross’ Country Manager in Khartoum. The duty station is Khartoum, but the successful candidate must be ready to travel up to 60% of its time to monitor programme activities. Accommodation at Khartoum level is non-shared housing with other delegates, in the field depending on risk level either hotel or shared housing. This is a family position.
The starting date of the assignment is envisioned as asap. The length of the contract will be till 31st December 2023, with possibility of extension. The contract will be administered in accordance with the Danish Red Cross Terms and Conditions for Delegates. The monthly salary including allowances and pension is competitive, depending on experience and qualifications.
Please click to view the job description and for further details you may contact DRC Country Manager in Sudan, Nuria Beneitez at email@example.com
How to apply:
Click on send Application via. our website to send your written motivation letter in English and upload your CV, after creating a profile on our EasyCruit portal.
Deadline for applications is 7th of May 2022. Interviews are expected shortly afterwards.