Job Title: Protection Manager – UNGO Jobs
Reports to Head of Programs | El Salvador | Full time temporary | 9 months |
**This position is pending funding approval Anticipated start date of May 15, 2022
This is a national position based in El Salvador.
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you are looking to be part of a living, breathing, ever-changing organization full of disrupters and doers, then read on!
Reporting to the Head of Programs, the Protection Manager is responsible for providing the strategic direction of Alight’s protection program in El Salvador. Coordinating and leading the GBV response activities in the Sister communities where Alight works. The Protection Manager will work closely with the program team and the Head of Programs to develop a comprehensive integrated protection strategy inclusive of Women’s Protection, GBV and Empowerment, Child Protection, and Protection Programming that ensures Alight’s integrated protection programming is coherently delivering needs-based protection services to at-risk populations in El Salvador. This position is based in San Salvador with frequent travel to the communities to ensure the required managerial supervision, support, and smooth implementation of ongoing project activities.
The Protection Manager will represent Alight in the country protection cluster and be responsible for developing quality proposals and for the overall quality implementation of all aspects of an integrated protection program.
Alight in El Salvador exists to empower youth and their families to envision and realize a bright future for themselves – a future full of opportunity and free of violence. We do this work through an existing network of Catholic Sisters and the safe spaces they operation. By honoring the work of the Sisters and amplifying the services they provide, Alight helps to build new pathways and narratives for families in El Salvador through livelihoods and protection activities.
Alight has an office in San Salvador and works in the communities of Apopa, La Chacra and Soyapango in San Salvador.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Program Management and Technical Quality
- Provide technical and management leadership to the protection program funded by BHA as well as any upcoming protection project (s) in accordance with best practice and Alight and Donor’s policy
- Leads, or contributes to, development of country sector strategic direction and plans, in consultation with the Head of Programs, Director of the Americas and technical units regionally.
- Provides technical guidance on confidential and safe data collection, case identification and referral mechanisms in line with internationally recognized best practices
- Provide technical guidance on safe information sharing and maintenance of safe spaces in line with internationally recognized best practices
- Provide technical guidance on protection and gender mainstreaming and risk reduction in the community sites liaising directly with other Alight program units and external actors to ensure that communities uphold internationally recognized best practices such as SPHERE standards, Child Protection Minimum Standards and the IASC GBV guidelines.
- Undertake regular visits to areas of implementation to monitor the quality of implementation and provide technical advice and tailored capacity building to field protection staff as necessary
- Provide technical support to ensure Alight’s Protection program in El Salvador continues to set standards for quality and innovation while honoring the vision of the Sisters
- Working closely with the GBV Officers and Psychosocial Counselors, ensure Alight’s ongoing protection program reflects Alight standards for quality and innovation.
Research, Learning and Analysis
- In collaboration with the Head of Programs, lead the assessment and research to design a complimentary protection strategy for neighboring countries, namely Guatemala and Honduras, with Sister groups, and develop partnerships for potential expansion
- Generating a strong evidence base for Alight protection programming, as well as informing Alight advocacy in El Salvador and globally.
- In coordination with the larger team, contribute to the advocacy efforts of Alight El Salvador through analysis of the policy environment and protection trends, staff briefings, and external representation in relevant discussions in El Salvador.
- Lead development and management of Integrated Protection strategic projects and promote cross-departmental learning and collaboration.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Champion by example a self-care program for staff and the Sisters
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly reporting, timesheets, and staff reviews.
- Overall responsible for staff work plans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance, including Sisters.
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
- Work closely with the HR personnel in the recruitment and orientation of protection staff.
Grant Planning & Implementation
- Lead the overall implementation of the Alight’s Protection program and provide guidance to the protection staff to ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that the project is appropriately monitored and evaluated, and that project reports are written and submitted in a timely manner
- Prepare program work plans that meet the BHA program objectives and prepare appropriate operational guidelines for project staff
- Ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, manage all financial aspects of the protection programs, approve relevant expenses and review expenditures, in consultation with the Finance Team
- Analyze protection concerns in El Salvador, propose new areas of work to Alight, and participate/lead in proposal development
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- Development/ maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and reporting systems and processes.
- Ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required.
- Ensure Alight and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced in quality.
Coordination & Representation
- Develops and maintains effective coordination and long-term relationships with external stakeholders, representing Alight positions, promoting long-term strategy, and resolving problems/conflicts
- Work closely and coordinates with Alight logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures, including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
- Effectively represents Alight at Protection coordination forums, like the Protection Cluster
- Negotiate and maintain appropriate information sharing protocols within Alight programs and with external actors.
- Maintain effective and safe referral pathways for protection concerns and other vulnerable cases. Spearhead development and maintenance of SOPs for referrals.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to Alight management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for ARC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Open heart and open mind. You start by listening. You believe another person’s truth and it changes you. It unlocks your way of thinking in that moment, it opens your world.
Curiosity. You are always learning. You ask why and why again. You know that change (big and small) is constant, which means your curiosity to learn is matched with adaptability to evolve.
Trust. You believe that people do their best, are disciplined, and care about this as much as you do. You take responsibility for your part and know how to step back and give others the space to shine.
We’re also looking for the following technical competencies:
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in managing protection, GBV, and Child Protection projects in complex environments. Preference given to candidates with experience in more than one area.
- Experience in international humanitarian work and refugee complex emergencies
- Experience with BHA (formerly OFDA) programming welcome
- MA/MSc equivalent in health (MPH), MSW Social Work, social science, law, humanities or other related degree preferred
- Prior experience in psycho-social support programming
- Prior experience working in vulnerable communities with an INGO
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Prior experience of implementing the SASA! approach is an added advantage
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of national and international staff
- Fluency in oral and written English and Spanish is required
Key Behaviors & Abilities
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, is flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Comfortable with regular travel to insecure communities
- Must be capable of applying their skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical knowledge
- Proven record on non-violence
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
Additional benefits will be shared during the interview process
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.