Homebased in Johannesburg (or in a reasonable commuting distance to the city)
18 months fixed term contract, with possibility of extension
Line Manager: Programme Coordinator, South Africa with direct support from UK-based Circular Economy Network Director
Key relationships: Circular Economy Network Director, Senior Technical Advisor, Fundraising and Communications Officer
Salary: £17k per annum
1 out of 3 people worldwide are forced to dump or burn their waste, causing the spread of disease, polluting the oceans, and contributing to the global climate crisis.
At WasteAid, we work with communities and policy makers in low and middle-income countries to implement waste management and recycling programmes. Our work improves the livelihoods of some of the poorest and most marginalised, promotes circular economy innovation and contributes to a cleaner and healthier future for all.
Waste management is often a neglected element of the international development agenda yet the consequences of poor waste management are severe, affecting both people and planet. Health consequences include increased respiratory illnesses due to burning waste, higher levels of insect borne illnesses due to open dumping, greater prevalence of watery diarrhoea and other illnesses due to blocked and polluted waterways. It is the poorest that bear the heaviest disease burden and for those living in extreme poverty, this can lead to increased mortality. The environmental consequences of poor waste management are no less severe, burning waste contributes to the climate crisis through greenhouse gases, contaminated soil and waterways put ecosystems at risk and the dirt and odour from unmanaged waste degrades the general environment
To tackle this crisis, WasteAid promotes and shares locally appropriate, evidence based and inclusive waste management practices, supporting and empowering others to take positive action. We partner with public, private and community-based organisations in countries where poor waste management is harming the environment, economy and society. We cooperate with businesses and governments to help address the global waste crisis and we build the capacity of international non-governmental organisations with our bespoke approach to sustainable waste management.
WasteAid has been active in South Africa since 2020 and currently coordinates the South Africa chapter of WasteAid’s Circular Economy Network. In 2022, WasteAid was awarded funding for 3 further projects in the country and this position would work across two of these projects which are centred around Johannesburg and focused on engagement with informal waste pickers to improve their livelihoods.
This is an exciting role within WasteAid’s growing team in South Africa to support two projects that are focused on improving the lives of informal waste pickers through offering increased livelihoods opportunities. On one project WasteAid is the lead organisation, on the second project WasteAid is playing a supporting role to our partner Technical Partner.
Overview of Tasks of Project Officer
· To provide support to the Programme Team on the set up and implementation of WasteAid projects in Johannesburg, South Africa.
· Support the selection and screening of Waste Collectors that are to benefit from the WasteAid projects
· Support the logistics related to the project implementation including booking venues for training, organising catering, invitation and communication with the beneficiaries
· Setting up a regular programme of meetings/contacts with beneficiaries of the project to track progress
· Support to beneficiaries of the project, trouble shooting any issues they are encounter and feeding back to WasteAid in a timely and efficient manner
· Having a clear understanding of the date collection requirements for the project and ensuring regular data collection according to the Monitoring and Learning planning
· Providing input and data that will feed into monthly and donor reports
· Making payments from time to time on behalf of WasteAid ensuring that expenditure is reported and receipted in a timely fashion
· Responsible for gathering stories of change/case studies that can be used on WasteAid social media
· Representing WasteAid in South Africa at events/conferences and partner meetings as and when required
· Any other ‘project’ support tasks which may arise
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· University degree in the social sciences, communications, or community development
· At least three years of work experience in social or development programs in South Africa with a focus on the informal sector, ideally with experience of those working within the waste and recycling informal sector.
· Experience in simple data collection and monitoring of projects
· With demonstrated ability on organizing, facilitation and conduct of capacity building trainings
· Good communicator, comfortable presenting to beneficiaries and donors (at project meetings/trainings etc)
· Easily adapt self and can work in changing contexts
· Ability to deliver with limited supervision. Demonstrated ability to set and achieve objectives and deadlines
· Ability to work on own initiative to build on and develop the job, combined with ability to work effectively as part of a team
· Fluency in English both written and verbal is a must as well as local language
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills in order to deal tactfully and sensitively with a wide range of people in different organisations
· Highly organized, with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines and organize work
· Ability to keep track of the quality and status of own or others’ work
· Proven attention to detail and ability to effectively manage data and information
· Proven experience of using MS office application (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
· Strong customer servicing skills
· Experience in problem solving
· Willingness and ability to travel nationally as needed
· Experience in building, working, and developing local partnerships, including with the private sector.
· Good understanding of the Circular Economy in South Africa and the role of the informal sector within it.
· Experience with mobile technology projects, or projects involving mobile money/incentive payments through app based technology
· Ability to drive
How to apply:
To apply for this role: Please send your CV with a cover letter (max 2 sides A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the job description by the close of business, on 22nd April with interviews on 28th or 29th April. Early application is encouraged
WasteAid is an equal opportunities employer and we encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups.
UK Registered Charity 1160263
Registered Address: 483 Green Lanes, London, N13 4BS, United Kingdom
Office Address: 8 Zealds House, 39 Church Street, Wye, Kent, TN25 5BL, United Kingdom**