Job Title: Project Officer (For Filipino Nationals Only)
JOB LOCATION: CARAGA Region
The Project Officer is responsible for supervising the overall implementation of the HEART Project (Humanitarian Emergency Assistance and Protection Response to Typhoon Rai Affected People in the Philippines) that includes planning, technical assistance, monitoring and evaluation, report writing, advocacy, and communications. The Project Officer will closely work with IRW-Philippines’ Humanitarian Programme Coordinator and Support teams.
The Project Officer is expected to establish strong linkage and coordination work with local government units (LGUs), UN Agencies, and other relevant agencies in the operational area.
S/he will support the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator in the overall management of the project and adhere to the localisation agenda of humanitarian aid and core values of Islamic Relief: Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice, and Custodianship.
S/he will inform the Country Office on the extent to which assistance is making changes on the lives of the target population, provide evidence-based knowledge on the positive and/or negative results of assistance for the disaster-affected communities, and share regular, timely and context-specific feedback from staff, partners and communities. The feedback signals areas where strategic attention is required.
When delegated, s/he represents IRW-Philippines to a range of external actors, key stakeholders such as local/provincial/national governmental authorities, UN agencies, faith-based organisations, peer organisations, NGOs, CSOs, the private sector, etc.
REPORTING TO: The position directly reports to the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator
STAFF REPORTING: Project Assistant
Project Key Objectives
Super Typhoon Rai (local name: Odette) is the Philippines’ 15th tropical cyclone in 2021. She made her first landfall north-eastern section of Mindanao, in Siargao, as a super typhoon, Category 5, with maximum sustained winds of 195km/h and gustiness of 260km/h before crossing the central-southern Philippines – she made nine (9) landfalls from December 16 to 17. Rai destroyed homes, uprooted trees, and toppled power lines. Rai dumped torrential rain, triggering floods and landslides. And triggered forced evacuations and left swaths of destruction in Visayas and Mindanao Island groups in the Philippines.
The project, dubbed as, “Humanitarian Emergency Assistance and Protection Response to Typhoon Rai Affected People in the Philippines” or HEART, endeavors to reach 2,350 households 11,750 persons or 2,350 households within the period of three (3) months to cover least-served and off the radar hard-hit coastal and rural villages in Placer, Sison, and Tagana-an towns of the province of Surigao Del Norte, through the distribution of core food items, hygiene and COVID-19 protection essentials, shelter kits, and rationing of potable water.
The Project Officer directly reports to the Humanitarina Programme Coordinator, she/he is expected to support the latter in the delivery of project management functions especially at meeting the County Office strategic targets.
The role involves designing and implementing emergency response intervention through distribution of core food items, hygiene and COVID-19 protection essentials, shelter kits, and rationing of potable water.
The Project Officer works closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team and other support teams. She/He will coordinate and collaborate with multi-stakeholders.
And the Project Officer works closely with the project team and particularly with the Projet Assistants, on the ground, with regard the following key aspects of the project.
Project and Team Management
- Supports the planning, management, and implementation of the project in line with the approved project documents.
- Establish strong teamwork and good professional relationship within the project team and inter-teams.
- Supports mentoring, coaching of the project team and the project partners and provides proper feedback.
- Support in the development of a project implementation plan with clear benchmarks and ensure monitoring of progress against the benchmarks.
- Ensures the project is compliant and adhere to development and humanitarian principles i.e., Do No Harm, Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability (CHS), Minimum Economic Recovery Standards (MERS), etc.
- Ensure that safeguarding, protection, and inclusion principles are mainstreamed in all the project activities. And that, overall, the project is compliant with Islamic Relief’s safeguarding, protection, and inclusion policies.
- Support and/or lead the proposal development of new or follow-up projects based on lesson learning when asked by the management.
- Supports in ensuring that all project-related records are held, created, or used.
Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensures that all project assessments, review, monitoring, lessons learned, and evaluation processes are followed including supervision of internal and/or external review.
- Collaborate with MEAL team in ensuring project MEAL-related processes are in place and implemented.
- Provides guidance and support to partners and/or project team in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Ensures that donor reporting requirements and standards are met including writing and timely submission of project updates and quality reports.
- Ensures continuous improvement in reporting and analysis by using Islamic Relief project management standards.
- Ensures that stakeholders are informed of the project accomplishments and/or highlights regularly.
- The Project Officer closely works with the Project Manager and the Finance team concerning spending, forecasting, budget versus actual, analysis, etc.
- With the Finance team and Project Manager, ensures periodic budget and when necessary, recommend actions to address budget variances.
Networking and Partnership Building
- When delegated, represent Islamic Relief Philippines in events and meetings organised by the UN agency, I/NGO, institutional donors, faith-based organisations, private sector, etc.
- Establish strong rapport with like-minded organisations, and other actors to generate support, a pool of expertise, and resources for the project.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Ready to support any emergency-related actions.
- Supports in ensuring that project staff understand and can perform their roles in an emergency.
- Contribute to developing the organisational strategic plan.
- Performs other tasks that are needed to ensure deliverables of project implementation are met.
- A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), development studies, social science, project/programme management, community development or any other related field.
- Minimum of 2-3 years working experience in a local or international NGO particularly in WASH sector.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting and/or leading a project team.
- Technical knowledge and expertise in WASH, sustainable livelihoods, enterprise development, peacebuilding, governance, community development, etc.
- Theoretical and practical understanding of the development and humanitarian programming.
- Experience in managing partnerships and proven experience of forming consortia/networks
- Sound knowledge and experience of working with communities through participatory approaches.
- Excellent communications skills – able to communicate and report on technical points, both oral and in writing
- Problem solving and self-management.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Good financial management skills with knowledge of budgeting and cost estimation.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural, faith, and social backgrounds.
- Good IT skills with knowledge in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Fluency in Filipino and English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Tagalog and local dialects (Maguindanaoan, Teduray, Bisaya, etc.) is an advantage.
- Commitment to Islamic Relief mission, vision, and core values.
- PMD Pro or any other relevant project management qualification.
- Strong understanding of the BARMM development and humanitarian contexts and has experience working in BARMM.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV with a cover letter on or before January 10, 2022, to HR.Philippines@islamic-relief.org.ph with email subject or reference: CARAGA – Project Officer Application
Islamic Relief Worldwide is a humanitarian and development organization and working in livelihood WASH, and DRR sectors in line with our vision of a caring world where communities are empowered, social obligations are fulfilled, and people respond as one to the suffering of others. We work regardless of ethnicity, religion, political affiliation or gender.
Selection will be based on application letter, CV, interview, and other relevant documents (as requested). Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
(Note: We need to fill in this role as soon as possible therefore we may stop considering job applications before the closing date as soon as suitable applications are received.)