Job Title: Project Manager/Project Director, Somalia Damal Caafimaad Health Services Activity – UNGO Jobs
Project Manager/Project Director, Somalia Damal Caafimaad Health Services Activity
Based in Garowe, Puntland State, Somalia
Field Travel Required
Reports to Country Representative
Status: This position is contingent on successful funding
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI and its local affiliates manage community health programs across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. PSI also supports national Ministries of Health to improve access to and quality of essential health services across the world. PSI/Somalia has worked to measurably improve the health of Somali women and children since 2007, addressing the most serious health challenges that affect resource poor and vulnerable Somali communities.
PSI seeks an experienced, dynamic, and innovation-driven Project Manager/Project Director to lead PSI’s work related to the Damal Caafimaad Component 1: Delivery of Somalia’s Essential Package of Health Services in Nugaal, Puntland State, Somalia.
· Provide overall leadership and technical direction for Damal Caafimaad Component 1: Delivery of Somalia’s Essential Package of Health Services in Nugaal, Puntland, State , Somalia.
· Plan, organize, and monitor all of the PSI’s activities related to Damal Caafimaad
· Manage all project staff
· Serve as the point of contact between PSI and the Government as well as partners
· Engage with the Ministry of Health’s Project Management Team (PMT) on review of deliverables and technical conversations to ensure high quality essential health service delivery
· Provide quality assurance for all of the PSI’s activities
· Coordinate different package of health services (PHS) delivery activities to ensure continuity between activities
· Closely monitor activities of any sub-contractors
· Work with Government and partners to troubleshoot and proactively address challenges
· Ensure that environmental and social safeguards requirements as outlined in the C-ESMP are implemented and reported on
This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
*What are we looking for?
· University degree with post graduate degree (MPH, MBA, or MPA)
· A minimum of ten-years full time experience of managing health service delivery projects
· Experience managing essential health service delivery in Somalia is strongly preferred
· A minimum of five years of experience working in fragile contexts. Experience working in Somalia is strongly preferred
· Experience in Somalia’s current health system is essential.
· Demonstrated experience establishing management systems for health service delivery
· Experience with health service quality improvement preferred
· Experience managing technology or digital health implementation projects is an added advantage.
· A minimum of eight years of experience with staff and project management
· Excellent management and leadership skills
· Excellent organizational skills with the ability to execute complex tasks in a timely manner
· Willingness to travel to remote areas
· Substantial experience working with Governments and partners in fragile contexts. Experience with Somalia’s Government at the Federal and State levels is preferable
· Good knowledge of supply chain systems
· Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytic skills
· Strong diplomacy skills
· Excellent communications skills including the ability to synthesize complex information for use across different audiences in both written and oral form
· Qualified Somali national/ Somali Diaspora only
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration:You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.