Job Title: Project Manager
Role & Responsibilities
Manage Medair’s WASH & Food Security (FS) projects in Southern Afghanistan, ensure proposal objectives are met within the project timeframe and the overall budget allocated for the project, and that the services delivered meet Medair, donor and international quality standards. Responsibilities also include managing WASH & FS project staff, coordinating with other partners to assess emergencies, preparing project reporting as well as supporting the development of new project proposals.
Medair Afghanistan has been operating since 1996 and currently works in three provinces: Daykundi, Uruzgan and Kandahar, with a country office in Kabul. Medair implements WASH, FS, Health and Nutrition programming to address growing humanitarian needs. FS responses are predominantly based on cash-assistance and do not include agricultural or livelihood activities.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Kandahar, Afghanistan with regular travel to field locations in Uruzgan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2022. Full time, 12-24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Ensure project monitoring is conducted according to project plans. Support agreed quality monitoring activities to meet relevant guidelines and standards, in coordination with WASH and FS Advisor.
- Coordinate contracts for sub-contracted WASH work (in liaison with WASH Advisor and logistics) and follow-up with day to day management/supervision of contract implementation.
- Contribute towards continual improvement of processes and implementation of WASH and FS activities, including development of standard operating procedures. Ensure project is implemented according to agreed standards and practices for WASH and Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA).
- Oversee implementation of beneficiary selection processes and cash distributions according to standards and plans, in coordination with relevant colleagues for security management, financial management, and technical advisor.
- Ensure that appropriate indicators are collected and evaluation assessments conducted against project monitoring plans, in coordination with MEAL Manager. Coordinate sectoral needs assessment activities and contribute to planning.
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision, and support of the assigned WASH & FS activities in line with the project plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal(s).
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and AAP in the project activities.
- Develop National staff at Managerial level to build capacity and experience in Project Management and reporting.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g., monthly, quarterly, and final reports). Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Ensure data collection is conducted according to project plans, and uploaded or provided in a timely manner.
- Contribute to database management and data security. Contribute to ongoing refinement of data tools.
- Facilitate and support training of staff to ensure proper use of data management collection devices and tools.
- Line-manage staff of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, recruitment, development and training, performance reviews, etc. Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching & supervision to staff to develop their leadership skills and implementation of project activities.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned team, Medair in-country and GSO advisors to ensure good partnerships. Participate in coordination meetings, representing Medair and feeding back to staff and field managers on relevant issues. Liaise with the WASH and FS Advisor for project updates, reporting and for all technical support on project implementation.
- Develop and maintain procurement plans based on project log frame and activities.
- In close coordination with Logistics, ensure clear communication with the logistics team on issues relating to procurement, transportation of cargo and supplies Monitor stock levels, expiry dates, and submit stock and purchase requests with accurate specification. Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stock at warehouse.
- Ensure the ordered items are to the standards and specification before final delivery to the field warehouse, including coordinating quality checks.
- Manage the budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Conduct regular financial checks to enable forecast of under or over-spend on project; raise these occurrences to Project Coordinator, technical advisor and other senior management as necessary.
- Support the team where needed in the selection, the set-up and management of cash assistance modalities for the project, in alignment with sector standards of the concerned financial service providers.
- Supervise the management of field team budget and cash, including the payment of casual labour payments within the agreed salary/incentive scales. Manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to field, and manage procurement, warehousing, and transport at field sites.
- Ensure cash requests are submitted to the PC in a timely manner, and cash needs forecasts are passed onto the PC. Ensure that receipts and field expense reports are returned consistently and are in good order.
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new locations before field teams travel. Monitor local dynamics in intervention locations and escalate concerns which may be indicators of insecurity.
- Ensure the WASH and FS teams adhere to SOPs, and understand updated security protocols and information before any travel or field activities are undertaken.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS standards, WHO recommendations etc. Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University or College degree in a field relevant to the humanitarian context.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a manager.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Good knowledge of humanitarian processes and of current humanitarian debates and issues.
- Desire to contribute to the team and foster unity. Diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues.
- Willing to support other teams within Medair. Good time management. Capacity to work under pressure & on tight deadlines.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.