Job Title: Program Manager I – MEAL (South Sudan)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS is seeking a Program Manager I- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) for an anticipated five-year USAID funded Integrated Youth Engagement Activity in South Sudan. The program aims to empower and create opportunities for underserved and out of school youth ages 14-25 to effectively benefit, participate and pursue their education, employment, health and social cohesion goals. Hiring is contingent upon successful award of the project and USAID approval of the candidate.
You will manage the MEAL system for the USAID funded Integrated Youth Engagement Activity in South Sudan, designing and implementing MEAL processes advancing CRS work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the program’s MEAL system delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of programming.
Required Languages – English.
Travel: Must be willing and able to spend up to 75% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups. Experience and skills in implementing matrix management for programs delivered through a consortium.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to analyze data and write reports.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
- Technical experience in developing and directly implementing MEAL systems for youth engagement programming, a plus.
- Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with very basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
- Project management experience in MEAL is highly desirable.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations.
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems, SPSS, ArcGIS and PowerBi.
- Direct project management experience with ICT4D, including CommCare, is highly desirable.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervision of MEAL technical team and technical supervision of partner MEAL staff.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Program Manager- Education, Program Manager- Social Cohesion, Program Manager- Health, Finance and Operations Manager, MEAL technical and program teams, programs and operations management teams and regional technical advisors.
External: Partners, Caritas Internationalis member organizations, peer agencies and local government authorities.
- Master’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Demography, Development Studies or a related discipline. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant field-based experience in coordinating or managing light to moderately complex projects required, preferably with an international NGO.
- · Additional experience may substitute for some education.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
*Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.*** Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination. CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm. CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency. CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer**
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.