1. Reporting Line: The Police Adviser reports to the Senior Police Adviser/Head of Police Unit.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To operationalise the Mission mandate and tasks as set out in the planning documents and the Mission Implementation Plan by advising and mentoring local counterparts on the strategic and operational level;
· To support the Mission to address areas of structural weaknesses in the performance and accountability of counterparts/institutions and propose relevant solutions;
· To provide analysis and recommendations to the local counterpart in the area of responsibility;
· To be embedded within the local institution, security permitting;
· To ensure timely reporting on activities as per planning documents;
· To maintain necessary contacts and build relationships with relevant local counterparts;
· To liaise closely with other Mission horizontal advisers;
· To design and deliver training;
· To provide operational guidance and advice to the Somali Police Force (SPF) and Federal
Member States on the development and implementation of broader policing policies and
procedures related to police training policing, criminal investigations, intelligence, and police administrative functions, in particular for the SPF HQ Operations, Communications and/or Information/Intelligence Directorates;
· To promote effective cooperation between the Somali Police bodies, both at federal and
member-state (regional) level;
· To promote effective cooperation between the Somali Police Force and judiciary, with the
aim of strengthening the first level of the judicial chain;
· To establish efficient working relationships at operational level with all the key stakeholders
involved in the development of the Somali policing capacity, including EU Delegation,
UNSOM, UNDP, UNODC and AMISOM complementing their activities on broader police
development on operational level.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To identify and report on lessons learned and best practices within the respective area of responsibility;
· To contribute and ensure timely reporting on activities within the respective area of responsibility;
· To take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
· To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma OR a qualification in the National Qualifications Framework which is equivalent to level 6 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the first cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area, e.g. Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent and attested police and/or military education or training or an award of an equivalent rank; AND
· A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
5. Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Ability to mentor, advise and motivate local counterparts;
· Experience of designing and delivering training.
· Organisational, planning and project development skills;
· Knowledge of Security Sector/Rule of Law Reform in a national or host state context.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multinational and/or international
· Experience in coordinating international efforts to support host state reforms in the area of Security Sector/Rule of Law.
7. Desirable knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Knowledge and experience in change management;
· Ability to accompany and motivate local counterparts;
How to apply:
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS FOR EU CITIZENS ONLY:
You have the nationality of an EU Member State: You must use Goalkeeper to apply:
a) You are already registered on Goalkeeper AND you have an EU Login:
b) You do not have a Goalkeeper account or an EU Login:
You do not have the nationality of an EU Member State:
only seconded nationals of a non-EU Contributing Third State can be proposed by their National Seconding Authority (no personal applications will be considered): please contact your
seconding authority to send them your application form.
Please note: Seconded positions are only available for candidates already validated in
the database of their Seconding Authority. Please contact your national Seconding
Authority for more information on applying for vacant Seconded positions. We cannot
provide contact details of national Seconding Authorities.
General Information on working in a CSDP Mission: