Job Title: Pledge for Change Accountability Research Consultant
Organization – Adeso: African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title – Accountability Research Consultant
Reporting To – Program Coordinator
Working Closely With – Program Team
Duration – 30 days
Starting Date – Immediately
Application Deadline – 20th January, 2022
Vacancy Contact – Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social, and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For over 30 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer, and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia and Kenya.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development
Adeso is also a leader in systemic changes for decolonizing the humanitarian and development aid system. Adeso currently leads a coalition of INGOs to re-imagine their roles in aid and how they can contribute to shifting power towards Global South communities that aid claims to support.
The Pledge for Change brings together key INGO leaders for honest conversations about their organizations’ current roles in maintaining neocolonial structures in the global aid system and for developing joint strategies, and concrete and significant steps towards decolonization. They convene monthly to debate and define long-term commitments their organizations can make to decolonize, with the goal to publicly announce the pledges and use this to create momentum forward with peer organizations and donors to also join in the actions set. This leadership includes CEOs from Oxfam International, Care International, Médecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), Mercy Corps, Save the Children, Plan International, and Christian Aid. The Pledge for Change will be rolled out by March 2022.
The Accountability Research Consultant will lead a process of defining what accountability for the Pledge for Change should mean, how it can be measured, and how efforts can be reported. While there is research done about best methods for accountability in aid, it is largely a buzzword used by Global North organizations to emphasize western technical solutions for measuring responsibility and success. Because the Pledge for Change is meant to push aid organizations to rethink their role and business model, we must also rethink the ways that INGOs define success and accountability towards their goals. As the participating leaders sign onto true shifts in power towards the Global South, we must also consider meaningful ways that INGOs can be held accountable to this change. More importantly, we must identify ways in which we can ensure that success is defined by, and accountability is led by, actors in the Global South.
Adeso is looking for a research consultant to lead the process of answering the questions:
- What does accountability to the Pledge for Change mean?
- Who should INGOs be accountable to, and for what?
- How should accountability be measured, tracked, and reported?
To answer these questions, the consultant will conduct secondary and primary research to gain a better understanding of what practices exist in aid and across other sectors to measure and uphold accountability, as well as different alternative definitions and practices for accountability driven by varied Global South cultures and norms. The consultant will then work closely with the Adeso team, member organizations of the Network for Empowered Aid Response (NEAR Network), and participating INGOs to facilitate a process and workshop to develop a unique accountability framework for the Pledge for Change.
- A written report summarizing the findings of research and recommendations on how to move forward in identifying the Pledge accountability framework.
- Facilitation of a process for defining a unique accountability framework for the Pledge for Change goals.
- Development of an accountability framework to be adopted by participating INGOs.
- External sharing and promotion of alternative accountability mechanisms to be used in aid.
- Developing content for the framework to be used on a website
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Past experience in research and engagement with an array of global actors.
- Proven understanding of and experience in actualizing the principles of decolonization.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable.
- Ability to deliver high-quality documentation paying attention to details.
- Native English speaker with excellent writing and analytical skills. The ability to write clearly and concisely is a requirement.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, positive manner with diverse clients and staff.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction.
How to apply:
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by 20th January 2022 with Accountability Research Consultant in the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Each application package should include the following:
● An application letter including how the consultant’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as the interest for the position. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates. The letter should be no longer than two pages;
● A sample of recent work;
● Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
● Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.