Job Title: Operations/HR Manager – UNGO Jobs
Reports to Head of Programs | El Salvador | Full time temporary | 9 months
**This position is pending funding approval Anticipated start date of May 15, 2022
This is a national position based in El Salvador.
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you are looking to be part of a living, breathing, ever-changing organization full of disrupters and doers, then read on!
Reporting to the Head of Programs and responsible for ensuring the proper functioning of all human resources and operational related issues and for the smooth implementation of program support activities of the Salvadoran country program. Alight operates in El Salvador.
Alight in El Salvador exists to empower youth and their families to envision and realize a bright future for themselves – a future full of opportunity and free of violence. We do this work through an existing network of Catholic Sisters and the safe spaces they operation. By honoring the work of the Sisters and amplifying the services they provide, Alight helps to build new pathways and narratives for families in El Salvador through livelihoods and protection activities.
Alight has an office in San Salvador and works in the communities of Apopa, La Chacra and Soyapango in San Salvador.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of HR and operations systems in collaboration with Alight’s global support team.
- Coordinate HR management oversight and leadership in the San Salvador Office and to the communities we serve.
- Collaborate with the Director of Americas and the Head of Programs to implement an HR strategy for the Alight El Salvador country program which is in line with the organization’s country and regional goals and objectives.
- Work with the Director of the Americas and the Head of Programs to identify growth opportunities for staff
- Coordinate the hiring process for national staff including full-cycle recruitment for all Alight San Salvador positions.
- Develop and maintain an effective orientation package and ensure new staff members are appropriately orientated in a timely manner.
- Identify appropriate training opportunities, internal and external, formal and informal, to enable all ARC staff to broaden and develop their professional skills. Encourage staff to enroll for the ARC LEADS program.
- Manage employment contracts and renewals.
Advise managers of Alight HR policies regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation and employment benefits.
Advise and coordinate with managers on appropriate resolution of employee relations issues and/or disciplinary action.
Represent Alight El Salvador at HR related forums, hearings and investigations as requested.
Manage and administer benefits programs such as medical insurance, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence and other related benefits.
Collect, review and submit timesheets to the Finance department on a monthly basis.
Collect, review and submit attendance summary to the Finance department on the 25th of every month
Coordinate payrolls issues with Finance department.
Act as point of contact for Alight’s insurance carrier.
If necessary, analyze wage and salary reports and data to determine competitive compensation plan
- Ensure Alight is in compliance with all local labor and taxation laws, and minimization of legal exposure.
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings to enhance and develop integrated operations support program activities.
- Ensure that all issues related to taxes, travel permits, licenses, registration, etc, are managed with the approval of the Country Director as and when required.
- Ensure the smooth running of the office, ensuring that adequate supplies, staffing and support systems are in place.
- Travel to the communities regularly to support programming.
- Keeps records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics.
- Maintain and record all Alight capital and non-capital Assets.
- Oversee the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Procurement management and support to ensure that there is no disruption in the operations support necessary for ongoing daily activities
- Review, revision and institutionalization of operations policies and procedures per Alight guidelines
- Capacity building of new and/or reoperations staff following recruitment
- Technical assistance in the area of operations as outlined in grant and/or closing meetings to ensure smooth and consistent grant management
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the communities and the San Salvador office
- Ensure reports are completed in accordance with deadlines & undertake report editing where necessary.
- Line manage all Operations staff in the San Salvador office to ensure that appropriate Alight management, administration, personnel, logistic and communication systems are in place.
- Supervise all logistical inputs, finance procedures and office administration functions.
- Mediation between field and program, operations and finance staff to ensure optimal program operations.
Working closely with the Director of Global Security:
• Participate in the ongoing monitoring of the security situation. Implementation of security measures according to Alight security guidelines and monitoring of same. Communicate with real estate advisors, brokers and building management regarding lease negotiations.
We’re looking for the following education, technical skills, & knowledge:
A minimum of 5 to 7 years of INGO or private sector experience setting up and managing human resource and operations systems
Knowledge of NGO systems and procedures desirable.
University Degree in Human Resource Management, Business or related degree
Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies with experience in insecure environments.
Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
Effective verbal and written communication, and organizational skills.
Fluency in oral and written Spanish and English is required.
Must be willing to travel to insecure communities (Under Alight’s security protocols)
Ability to work effectively with a diverse team in a sensitive environment.
Key Behaviors & Abilities
Proven ability to manage staff and work effectively with colleagues, donors, partner organizations, stakeholders, local institutions, and others at all levels.
Analytical thinking and attention to detail.
Strong ethical standards and high level of integrity.
Ability to work effectively on his/her own and as part of a team.
Ability to think objectively and demonstrate sound judgment.
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
Organization and facilitation skills.
Resilience under pressure.
Flexible thinking and ability to adapt to change.
Strong interpersonal skills and organizational skills.
Ability to work under stress and with tight deadlines.
Willingness to travel to the communities on an ad hoc basis.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals
Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it
Additional benefits will be shared during the interview process
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.