Job Title: Nigeria: Country Security Manager
Fixed-term | 12 months | ASAP
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 38 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 20 million beneficiaries.
Present in Nigeria since 2017, ACTED teams are working with the local authorities to support vulnerable populations in the country, with a coordination office based in Abuja. The NGO provides emergency assistance to the most vulnerable populations through various activities, such as building shelters, distributing non-food items, assisting in the management of camps and informal settlements for displaced persons, and supporting farmers and information management services to the humanitarian community.
You will be in charge of
Ensure the safety, security and integrity of ACTED staff, assets, premises and programs in country, in particular by constantly monitoring and anticipating security risk, by designing and enforcing context specific risk mitigation rules and procedures, by ensuring MOSS compliance in all ACTED premises, by preparing and updating contingency and evacuation plans and by providing all ACTED staff with appropriate security training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of qualified national security field staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Country Director
- Supervise and mentor national security officers, focal points, guards and drivers
- Make frequent site visits to ACTED premises to carry out performance assessments and provide constant support to the security team
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
Context & Risk analysis
- Develop and regularly update the country security profile (with regards to the socio-economic, political and/or military situation in country, the country criminality profile, the nature of ongoing conflicts or crises climatic & seismic hazards and health risks, )
- Follow-up on major country events and developments
- Analyse and locate key local stakeholders
- Develop security trend analysis
- Ensure internal incident tracking system is utilized properly: create an security incident database and perform incident mapping and analysis
- Fill in and regularly update the Risk Analysis Matrix (threat, likelihood, impact, level of vulnerability, level of risk)
- Carry out security assessments of new ACTED areas of intervention or areas under Phase C
Develop and update Country Security Plans, SOPs and Contingency Plans
- Draft and regularly update the Country Security Plan (CSP) for validation by the Country Director and endorsement by HQ
- Recommend changes in the Country Security Plan to Country Director and HQ Security department
- Draft Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) adapted to the local context
- Draft and regularly update evacuation and contingency plans in capital and support Area Coordinators in developing Area evacuation and contingency plans.
- Ensure preparedness to evacuation and contingencies (check contingency kits, first aid kits etc.).
- Design and drill a security communication tree (warden system), emergency radio network, and provisioning of emergency supplies for field personnel
Daily Security Management
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that all field staff are fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce their vulnerability to those threats
- Monitor the security preparedness of country staff and enforce staff compliance with internal security rules and SOPs, ensuring they are communicated to all staff and understood
- Set up and control the implementation of mitigation measures and security rules according to the local context
- Ensure compliance with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and develop action plans for security upgrade
- Carry out security assessments of new ACTED facilities, ensure a standard level of facilities protection, and supervise guards.
- Ensure missions have adapted communication means, and ensure maintenance to support the Logistic team in Country. Ensure constant update of the emergency contact list and timely issuance of ID cards.
- Ensure a proper level of preparation before movement on the field, ensure transportation means are adapted, ensure a good fleet maintenance, and set movement rules which are adapted to the local context to support the Logistic team in Country. Ensure operational follow-up of movements.
- Ensure logistics follow a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
- Spearhead security assessment missions prior to ACTED staff deployment to a new area and ensure minimum security standards are in place before their installation.
- Support and participate to assessment mission in phase C or D area
- Adapt crisis management protocols to the local situation
- Act as a key member of the Crisis Management Team so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure weekly/monthly security reports are completed and sent to HQ, providing timely updates of all situational and security developments including investigation of security incidents
- Produce real-time incidents report (using Form SEC-03)
- Send updated TITANIC on a monthly basis to the Country Director and HQ Security Department.
Training and briefing
- Conduct security briefing for each new international staff arriving in country.
- Design security training modules for Country Director’s approval and HQ endorsement.
- Determine training needs for the security staff
- Train national staff to increase their awareness and sense of responsibilities
- Conduct any staff security training that is warranted (HEAT, training to drivers and guards, evacuation drills, fire safety etc.).
- Carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff trainings
Develop and maintain a security network
- Actively participate in Weekly and Monthly Coordination Meetings
- Create an information network in the country, identifying key informants
- Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities, other NGO’s (local and international), and all relevant stakeholders
Ensure external representation
Attend security coordination meetings and update Country Director and HQ on current security issues
Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the ACTED Code of Conduct, values and policies with regard to internal and external stakeholders
Expected skills and qualifications
- At least 2-3 years of working experience in insecure environments; preferably in Africa, Asia, or the Middle East;
- Extensive experience in security management and procedures;
- Demonstrated communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and national staff Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure;
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments;
- Willingness to work and live in often remote areas under basic conditions;
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office;
- Advanced proficiency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of local language and/or regional experience highly desirable
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances
How to apply:
Send your application (resume + cover letter) to email@example.com Ref: CSM/NIA