Job Title: MEALS Specialist – UNGO Jobs
NetHope enables humanitarian organizations to better serve individuals and communities in the developing world through smarter use of technology. Working at the intersection of the international NGO sector, private business and technology innovation, NetHope is a Membership organization currently serving over 60 leading humanitarian, development, and conservation organizations around the world. NetHope empowers our Member organizations to collaborate, innovate, and leverage the full potential of information and communications technology to support their work in 190 countries. NetHope and our Members partner with over 50 of the world’s leading technology firms to create innovative solutions to existing and emerging challenges, and to reimagine how technology can improve our world.
This is an exciting time at NetHope as the organization transforms and expands its portfolio of programs and service offerings in collaboration with Members and partners. Working with staff and expert consultants, the MEAL Specialist will be integral in cultivating a culture of continuous learning and data-driven decision-making in NetHope.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Specialist
NetHope is seeking an experienced, organized, and enthusiastic professional to lead NetHope’s MEAL system implementation, review, and evaluations. The position will work closely with program, engagement, and digital solutions teams to develop and implement an effective monitoring framework and system across all programs to assure the quality of interventions and cohesive impact record keeping. This includes building the capacity of program teams in the effective use of the data management tools and reporting templates, generating periodic program implementing reports and assessment reports, and supporting proposal writing and theory of change development. It will be important for the MEAL Specialist to capture lessons learned and communicate this information in various capacities to improve ongoing and future programming across NetHope. Ultimately, the MEAL Specialist will be a key stakeholder in ensuring that programs (whether Member-facing or direct client facing) have evidence-based knowledge to inform the direction of the program from assessment and regular program monitoring documents.
Specific responsibilities include:
System Design and Promoting MEAL
· Lead the development and oversee the rollout of an organizational MEAL system based on a fit-for purpose framework, ensuring NetHope program cohesion and accountability to donors, Members, and people in need.
· Promote all aspects of MEAL to support the cultivation of an organizational culture which prioritizes quality programming and monitoring of impacts to a common framework.
· Build strong relationships with colleagues and provide support and capacity building as required to ensure MEAL system, framework and ways of working are understood and supported by many teams across all programs.
· Work closely with the program teams to ensure that cohesive and quality MEAL practices becomes an integral element of project implementation, run, and evaluation – leading to enhanced quality, accountability, management, and impact for all of NetHope.
· Support the implementation of an integrated M&E database of all projects/programs and ensure accountability through regular data updates, data integrity, and working in collaboration with the Data and Digital Solutions team.
· Build capacity of staff through training to ensure adoption of new data monitoring tools and quality of data collected.
· Keep abreast of and implement new approaches and tools on M&E and provide training to program teams, as appropriate.
Monitoring and Evaluation
· Develop M&E plans for all projects and proposals and ensure plans are executed during implementation.
· Revise work plan and performance management plan (PMPs) for all projects in tandem with all approved proposals, regularly reviewing and updating as needed.
· Carry out data quality assessments/audits regularly of MEAL data based on agreed indicators to guide decision-making.
· Ensure cohesion of MEAL framework and practices across multiple programs and work with Data and Digital Solutions team to provide overviews of program health and progress to senior leaders as appropriate.
· Design and manage a MEAL training program with the goal of increasing capacity and awareness of MEAL for all staff and relevant contractors to NetHope. Assess training needs and engage teams to roll-out the training program.
· Prepare high quality analysis reports to illustrate NetHope’s impact and assessment findings, including evidence of good practice and replicable programs.
· Support preparation and review of periodic progress reports to donors and Members, including preparing indicator tracking tables, and verifying consistency between collected data, means of verification, and written drafts.
Assessments, Surveys and Evaluation
· Liaise with NetHope teams delivering programs to ensure that all new and ongoing projects adhere to accountability requirements by initiating baseline surveys for new projects/programs and conducting relevant evaluations for ongoing projects to meet NetHope’s standards.
· Lead all project assessments, evaluations, and performance evaluation tasks including planning and reporting.
· Assist in the development of terms or reference/scope of work for external surveys and program audits and consultant recruitments/selection.
· Coordinate the review of relevant survey reports prepared to ensure cohesion of metrics across NetHope, and drive quality and accurate reporting.
· A passion for NetHope’s mission and for working collaboratively and nimbly in a fast-paced dynamic global environment
· High degree of cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
· Values and encourages diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives
· Solid judgement including handling of sensitive information
· Integrity/ethics beyond reproach
· Excellent at working in a networked & virtual team environment, in multiple timezones
· Ability to multi-task while maintaining vigilant attention to detail in a fast-paced working environment
· Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, NetHope Members, and external partners and supporters.
Knowledge and Skills
· Strong experience in conducting and leading program evaluation, from design and formulation of methodology, analysis and presentation of results and formulation of recommendations
· Ability to present complex information in succinct and compelling manner
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
· Multilingual verbal and written communication skills, a plus
· Group facilitation experience and engaging stage/customer presence, a plus
Education and Experience
· Master’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in MEAL, preferably in the ICT for development (ICT4D) and/or emergency/humanitarian response sectors or a Bachelor’s degree with 10 years or more of MEAL experience. (Or demonstrated equivalent work experience)
· Demonstrated experience in implementing and providing oversight to an organizational MEAL system.
· Demonstrated experience in data processing and management of surveys is a must.
· Demonstrated experience of data analysis visualization software, and presentation software (e.g. Excel, Tableau, Power BI, others) and advanced computer skills (word-processing, spread sheets, and databases) are a must.
· Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in.
· Experience of driving better organizational practice through lessons learned over time, a must.
· NetHope Member experience highly valued, other NGO experience a plus.
Reporting and Working Conditions:
· This position is a full-time position that reports to Deputy Director of Field and Impact Programs and works closely with senior leaders and program managers to develop and implement effective monitoring practices and systems.
· NetHope is a virtual organization, so our team, our Members, and our Partners are located around the world. Due to the global nature of the organization, meetings may thus be required at any time of the day to meet with our stakeholders in varying time zones. To meet these needs, NetHope embraces flexible schedules for team members, and we work with each other to be located globally, but still maintain a reasonable work time balance.
· As a global organization, we welcome qualified applicants with diverse backgrounds from various locations, and who may have non-traditional work patterns.
· NetHope is a networked team-oriented environment with staff working across functional areas to produce high-quality programs, services, and connections with our Members. We value open communication and believe that a staff working as a team produces the best outcomes.
· This position is 100% remote in a global virtual environment. Travel is not anticipated for this position.
· This position is funded through a 5-year grant and will continue should funding be available.
How to apply:
How to Apply
Should this opportunity interest you, please submit application in confidence here. Please include the job title in the subject line of your email submission. Applications will be accepted until April 26, 2022.
NetHope is an Equal Opportunity Employer.