Job Title: Logistics Manager
Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the provision of the logistical support for the programme. The Logistics Manager is responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring information, reporting and accountability requirements are met. The Logistics Manager also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
Medair’s emergency response team was deployed in Sudan in February 2020 with the objectives of re-applying for country registration and to re-establish relationship with government authorities, donor agencies, UN partners, and INGOs. The team has also been ascertaining information on gaps and priorities to understand the humanitarian context, and identifying programmatic gaps for potential interventions. As of March 2020, Medair obtained registration to start multi-sector programming in in Sudan. Location (s) for the implementation of project is being determined based on needs and assessments.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Khartoum, Sudan with possible field visits.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2022. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
- Provide the technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards – to include sourcing and procurement, warehousing, transportation and management of logistics resources in fleet, equipment and facilities – to provide optimum support to country programmes.
- Work in close cooperation with other team members, sharing information on the assessments and proposed interventions, providing overviews of logistics requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects.
- Manage the procurement process in accordance with Medair policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost-effective manner. Provide planning support and advice to project managers and others making procurement requests, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans in alignment with project activity plans and timelines.
- Locate and negotiate contracting for storage/warehousing that is secure, well-maintained, and meets health and safe working practice requirements. Oversee warehouse operations ensuring proper record keeping for the receipt, storage and issuing of items, physical inventory checks, storage conditions, security and facility maintenance.
- Ensure international and national transportation of freight by land, sea and air is in line with programme budgets and needs; ensuring the most cost effective and reliable means of transport is used for the delivery of supplies to projects.
- Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes, and submit logistics reports to the in-country management team, and GSO logistics pursuant with procedures.
Logistics Management – Resources
- Ensure management of vehicle fleets is in line with Medair standards; ensure allocation and safe use of vehicles throughout the programme. Ensure servicing & maintenance schedules are adhered to. Ensure usage of fuel is correctly supervised and recorded. Liaise with security personnel on security-related transport issues, as booking in/out, satcomms, radios etc.
- Supervise and coordinate all matters regarding all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost-efficient manner, and maintained appropriately. Management of equipment will include procurement, registration, allocation, tracking, maintenance, repair, replacement and reporting.
- Support the proper management of existing field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing ones. Liaise with the landlord(s) to ensure proper maintenance and optimum availability of facilities and utilities (e.g. electricity, water, phone-lines, physical security and building repairs). Ensure regular backups are done for all computers throughout the programme and that virus updates and routine computer maintenance is carried out.
- Support the set-up of field based and offices if new programmes are established in other states.
- Represent Medair in a professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan, organise, and schedule distribution of goods and material as well as to ensure good coordination and adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
- Compile and validate the logistics component of all base and project budgets. Monitor spending of assigned budgets, and ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Manage and motivate staff with integrity and foresight, to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, performance review, producing development plans, determination of training needs, establishing and monitoring work plans, etc.
- Ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained and, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Provide cross training to project managers and other staff on warehouse and (drug) supply chain procedures to enable monitoring and spot checking of remote warehouses and stock points.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all guidelines are followed.
- Develop and implement systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, or Business Management.
- Good English (spoken and written). Ability to speak, or learn, local language (Arabic).
- Minimum one-year relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context.
- Experience of the management of budgets and the ability to prepare timely, complete and accurate reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the logistics sector.
- Certification in Humanitarian Supply Chain Management, in Medical Logistics or Security training desirable.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply:
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.