Job Title: Legal Translator: Arabic, Farsi (Persian) or Dari
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
ABA ROLI is seeking a part-time “Legal translator” in Arabic, Farsi, or Dari to support the Middle East and North Africa program. The consultant will engage in the following duties:
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In close collaboration with the program director, ensure the translation of all relevant program materials from English to Farsi, Arabic or Dari.
- Assist staff with quality control of all documents distributed during meetings and trainings, including substantive materials, agendas, outlines, and similar.
- Transcription of closed caption video subtitles.
- Conduct legal research as required to support accurate translation of technical legal language and concepts within the materials.
- Provide assistance with any other activity related to the program.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Law).
- Perfect fluency in English and written and oral fluency in Farsi (Persian), Arabic or Dari.
- Extensive translation/interpretation experience, particularly pertaining to legal context.
- Familiarity with the regional legal system, as well as the current political, economic, and socio-cultural contexts, preferred.
- At least three years of relevant work experience in a similar role.
- Ability to work without direct supervision, paying close attention to detail and bearing independent responsibility for accuracy.
- Experience with interpretation-translation for government entities or senior officials an asset.
- Good knowledge of MS office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound judgment and ability to maintain the strictest confidentiality.
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and daily rate to email@example.com. In the subject heading please include the title of the position: Legal Translator.