Job Title: Knowledge Management Advisor
Job Title: Knowledge Management Advisor
Reports to: Advisor II, Knowledge Management & Governance
Internal Title: Advisor I
Department: Mission and Mobilization
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Baltimore / Telecommute
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance, and peacebuilding.
CRS is building a movement of millions of people in the United States who collectively seek to increase the Church’s impact and influence in combatting global poverty, violence and injustice. Animated by our Catholic faith’s call to action to alleviate suffering and work to create a more just world, CRS’ Movement Building strategy is the outward expression of missionary discipleship—calling forth leaders who have encountered Christ in the face of the poor, becomi ng prophetic advocates for justice and the common good.
The Strategy and Operations (S&O) team within the Mission and Mobilization (M2) department collaborates with colleagues across M2 and CRS to increase operational excellence to maximize impact. M2’s S&O team enables the department to establish and maintain a clear and aspirational strategy and roadmap for the department’s key initiatives, operational standards, clear and streamlined business processes, communications and collaboration. The S&O team provides vital support for staff to access appropriate training and resources to develop the competencies, skill sets and knowledge to excel in their roles.
You will work closely with colleagues across the department and agency to ensure opportunities are maximized through the use of well-informed, efficient and effective knowledge management and collaboration tools/systems. You will proactively resear ch best practices and develop business/process management procedures and protocols that will improve departmental operations and learning. Working closely with the Knowledge Management unit, the larger S&O and Integrated Information Systems (IIS) teams and M2 leadership, this role will be key in assuring departmental adoption of enhanced operational standards. The Knowledge Management Advisor performs a critical role in driving adoption and usage of Gateway (GW) throughout M2.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
Business Processes and Support Resources
- Work with Gateway (GW) stakeholders and end users to develop and implement new business processes that leverage GW functionality and data to address specific business needs.
- Maintain and update the GW Business Process Guide and foundational Gateway resources (i.e. Affiliation Role Definitions) in consultation with S&O colleagues and the IIS team.
- Work with the IIS team and relevant M2 stakeholders to provide supplementary support resources for specific teams or roles related to the Business Process Guides and GW foundational resources in order to increase user adoption and effectiveness. These resources will be developed or integrated and maintained in tandem with system instruction and training.
Coordination & Innovation
- Coordinate on a regular basis with M2 administrative staff to support their respective teams in effectively using GW, provide input on existing and draft resources and business processes and identify trends and common gaps or issues to address.
- Work with advanced GW users (Gateway Promoters) to develop, document, and socialize improved business processes that leverage GW capabilities. Review and respond (where assigned) to issues and questions that arise (including through ServiceNow ticketing system).
Governance of M2 Business Processes and Data
- Coordinate with IIS and relevant stakeholders to build and maintain a regular quality control routine in GW that utilizes tools (lists, reports, dashboards) and processes (automated alerts, review meetings, etc.) for assessing how well M2 staff are adhering to business processes and subsequently supplying complete and accurate data in GW.
- Coordinate with M2 colleagues to continuously monitor M2 data for robustness and actionability (new data & recently modified data)
- Coordinate w/IIS and S&O colleagues to develop and follow through on appropriate mitigation strategies, including updating business processes or notifying IIS of training needs, with relevant stakeholders to immediately address data quality issues as they emerge.
Knowledge Management User Competencies
Coordinate with relevant stakeholders (including IIS) to:
- Develop matrix of Knowledge Management competencies for M2 staff based on specific role/responsibilities
- Develop and maintain tools to assess Knowledge Management competencies for all M2 staff
- Design and support implementation of system/process to introduce and socialize KM competencies matrix, support resources and assessment tools in coordination with senior leadership
- Support M2 supervisors in providing appropriate guidance and resources to their teams to address gaps and build upon existing KM competencies
- Work with IIS and Staff Training Advisor to develop and maintain appropriate KM components for the on-boarding process for new M2 staff
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in education, instructional design, computers, business administration or related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years relevant experience, including within operations, knowledge management and/or system (CRM (Customer Relationship Management)) implementation or related field
Required Languages – English. Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
Travel – Ability and willingness to travel up to 8% in the US, when travel resumes.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.