Job Title: INTERIM CHIEF OF PARTY -SHORT TERM CONTRACT – UNGO Jobs
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE.
CARE is looking for a highly qualified and dynamic Acting Chief of Party for 4-6 months (May up until October) to cover for the departing CoP to support the Syria Resilience Consortium on technical coordination, program design and project management. Seniority and leadership skills are highly important for this position. We are seeking a person who is comfortable to lead on complex processes with teams consisting of senior programmatic staff of different INGOs, without having direct line management authority over these staff.
The Acting COP will:
- Provide financial oversight for the consortium including developing new program budgets
- Develop new program proposals and start-up of new programmes with the support of PCU and CM staff
- Provide leadership to the Program Coordination Unit
- Chair the steering committee and lead strategic decision processes for the consortium
- Lead the PCU team as the SRC recruits the new Chief of Party. This includes direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party, Finance Coordinator and Sr. Admin and Grants Officer. The Deputy Chief of Party provides oversight to the MEAL staff.
- Sustain SRC grant management, and contractual and compliance functions including the FCDO BLRS start-up, closing out the GAC PERSEVERE program and continuing the SRC multi-donor fund. This includes leading the administration and financial aspects alongside the grant holders.
- Lead the Steering Committee, facilitate strategic decsion-making with the steering committee and other key stakeholders.
- Foster existing donor relationships and SRC communications and advocacy
- Submission of FCDO BLRS full proposals and start-up of FCDO BLRS grant with participating SRC CMs.
- MDF2 Proposal–work with the MDF Donors, Care Norway and the SRC CMs on developing the MDF2 proposal for 2023-2025.
- Support completion of whole of Syria revised Theory of Change and hub level theories of change.
- Generate ongoing SRC communications, advocacy initiatives and SRC situation reports.
- Master’s Degree in social sciences, food security/livelihoods, international relations, humanitarian assistance, or another relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 10+ years of experience with humanitarian and development program implementation, preferably in consortia or similar complex team.
- Experience leading consortia and coordination with multiple partners.
- Experience working on Syria or the MENA region.
- Previous experience as a CoP or DCoP required
- Strong experience in budget
- Strong experience in budget management, compliance, donor grant management and contracts
- 5+ years of experience working on livelihoods, gender, cash programming and/or resilience programming in fragile states, preferably in the Middle East
- Experience designing and managing work plans; Fluency in English and excellent writing skills
- Previous experience working on FCDO proposals desired
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please visit our website at
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at email@example.com.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here. The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE’s career website at any time