Job Title: Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy Manager – UNGO Jobs
TITLE: Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy Manager
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Yemen Advocacy, Campaigns, Media and Communications Team LOCATION: Home based (with possible travel)
GRADE: (please leave this blank) CONTRACT LENGTH:
Fixed Term 1
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of a Yemen humanitarian advocacy strategy and supporting policy work, in coordination with regional and global stakeholders to influence decision-makers to uphold and protect children’s rights. The HPAM will also provide technical support to the Education Cluster in the development of its own advocacy strategy, particularly as it relates to attacks on education, and engage frequently with the MRM, other accountability mechanisms, write periodic reports, briefing papers and develop policy work on issues related to Safe Schools Declaration, Children and Armed Conflict and Violence Against Children.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE: The Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy Manager will be responsible for the development of products on issues affecting children in Yemen, including policy briefs, briefing papers, reports and original research.
Reports to: Yemen Country Office Advocacy, Campaigns, Media and Communications Director
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
Role Dimensions: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Advocacy development and implementation
* Coordinate and sometimes lead development of crisis advocacy plans and messages within the Yemen Country Office Advocacy, Campaigns, Media and Communications team and the Save the Children International regional and global Humanitarian Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns;
* Draft regular advocacy products, including regular reports on attacks on education, children and armed conflict, children in detention and violence against children.
* Support and advance the Yemen Country Office policy objectives during emergencies, including drafting and distributing plans, advocacy-policy messages, policy briefs, and letters to governments, policymakers and other stakeholders,
* Support thematic directors/advisors to articulate their top priority advocacy objectives in line with the new Country Strategic Plan
* Identify key opportunities and events for the Yemen Country Office to position itself as the leading organisation for children’s issues in the country
* Draft and otherwise support the production of advocacy products as outlined in the advocacy strategy for use at the country, regional and international levels including supporting the Advocacy and Campaigns strategy in country.
* Ensure that all advocacy messages, documents, and strategies are evidence-based, drawn from field experience and assessments, of high quality and effective, and are approved by the Country Director, the Regional Advocacy Media and Communications Director, and the Humanitarian Advocacy Working Group (HAWG). When necessary, ensure advocacy products are signed-off according to the SCI sign-off procedures.
* Provide coordination and communication support around Save the Children’s humanitarian campaigning, staffing internal working groups
* Monitoring and reporting on relevant policy developments
* Producing policy and advocacy materials as needed
* Networking with external players in both the policy makers and INGO communities
Partner and ongoing support
* Provide project management, communications, policy and administrative support to the Advocacy, Media, Campaigns and Communications team, Save the Children Yemen Country Office partners, senior management, and other departments around priority initiatives and events including humanitarian appropriations.
* Represent emergency- and response-related policy views of Save the Children in meetings with other departments within Save the Children as well as with other non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and policy makers stakeholders;
* Contribute meaningful input into initiatives and communiqués; report on and track all relevant joint initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* Education to BSc/BA/BEng level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
* A minimum of five years’ advocacy experience in an NGO environment, with experience in successfully leading the development and implementation of advocacy strategies
* Experience of working in humanitarian contexts and knowledge of key trends in the humanitarian sector
* Experience in leading the creation and implementation of a strategy, demonstrating the ability to identify the necessary steps towards an ambitious goal.
* Experience of a range of campaigning and advocacy techniques and approaches
* Experience in influencing government, donors, and other organizations through representation and/or advocacy
* Demonstrable creative ability in accessing new opportunities, expertise and ideas
* Demonstrable track record of leading change which has led to significant results for the organization and their stakeholders
* Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing and negotiation
* Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
* Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
* Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
* Strong research and policy development skills
* Experience of building networks, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organization
* Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
* Knowledge of children’s rights key international agreements and conventions
* Commitment to Save the Children values
* Excellence in written and spoken English.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YS5hbGF0Ljg3NzM0LjEyMTg1QHNhdmV0aGVjaGlsZHJlbmFvLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ