Trócaire works in partnership with local organisations in developing countries, and with people in Ireland, to tackle the root causes of poverty and injustice. Together, we create positive and lasting change.
Trócaire works in up to 20 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
We have 5 Goals: Defend Human Rights; Achieve Climate & Environmental Justice; Ensure Women & Girls’ Protection, Voice & Influence; Saving Lives and Protecting Human Dignity and Mobilise the Public on the island of Ireland to achieve Global Justice.
Our work is rooted in Catholic Social Teaching and in our values of Solidarity, Courage, Participation, Perseverance and Accountability.
The Humanitarian Funding Advisor is an exciting role within a dynamic global humanitarian team. The role has a particular focus on accessing humanitarian funding from a variety of humanitarian donors. The post holder will contribute to Trócaire’s overall institutional funding strategy, working closely with country teams and HQ staff to identify, position and pursue humanitarian funding opportunities for the achievement of Trócaire’s strategic plan. Funding opportunities will be particularly sought for specific elements of the strategic plan including protection and nexus programmes within Fragile and Conflict affected States.
The post holder will ensure Trócaire’s funding submissions are of high quality and present programmes of work in line with international humanitarian standards. Furthermore the post holder will ensure specific donor grant management, compliance and reporting requirements are understood and adhered to throughout the organisation. The post holder will remain up-to-date on key developments and trends in humanitarian funding and will identify engagement spaces and engage proactively within these spaces. Close linkages with the Global Partnerships and Funding Unit are envisaged. The role involves travel to countries of operation to provide surge support on request.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to the Head of Humanitarian Programmes, this is a contract of indefinite duration and can be based in any Trócaire office on the Isle of Ireland.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults Trócaire is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives.
Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. All offers of employment will be subject to pre employment checks including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (e.g. police/garda vetting, counter terrorism and anti-trafficking). Trócaire also participates in the InterAgency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and all employees will be subject to this as part of contract of employment.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead the implementation of Trócaire’s humanitarian fundraising strategy helping translate targets and ambition at a global level into concrete plans at country level in collaboration with country teams.
• Lead on humanitarian donor engagement strategy for donors (in particular Start Fund, UN Agencies) in line with the overall institutional funding strategy and vision and Trócaire’s Strategic Plan.
• Explore funding opportunities for new areas of our Strategic Plan such as nexus, peace building and anticipation and explore funding opportunities for our niche area which is Protection.
Funding Pipeline and Proposal Development
• Provide business development expertise in positioning, planning and proposal preparation for specific opportunities with humanitarian donors as well as foundations, corporations (in particular Start Fund and UN Agencies).
• Provide knowledge and expertise on humanitarian donor requirements an internal help-desk on donor related issues (Start Fund, UN agencies), providing regular updates on donor policy and priorities, and their alignment with Trócaire’s humanitarian programme goals.
• Coordinate proposal development processes where needed to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to donor requirements, applicable regulations, and Trócaire’s technical standards.
• Contribute both technical and non-technical content and integrate inputs from staff and partners into a responsive, coherent proposal with a compelling vision and clear win themes. Also support proposal budget processes and propose recommendations to develop a competitive proposal. As appropriate, serve as a lead or support writer on proposals or provide technical review.
• Support cultivation and strengthening of relationships with potential consortia partners and support negotiation of Trócaire’s role in proposal consortia when requested, ensuring a competitive position for Trócaire that adheres to the agency’s partnership principles and strategic direction.
• Track and analyse humanitarian funding (opportunities/ proposals/ contracts and funding) utilising the functions of Trócaire’s Salesforce system to maximum effect.
Grant Management, Compliance and Reporting
• Contribute to continuously improving internal grant management systems and that of local partners.
• Promote a high standard of compliance with donor grant rules and regulations, including financial requirements, in liaison with the Standards and Compliance Unit.
• Advise and support country teams and Business Development Managers on relevant compliance and reporting requirements; provide technical reviews of reports as necessary.
• Assist Country Teams with the organisation of grant setup workshops.
• Support relevant donor due diligence processes and audits in collaboration with Trócaire’s Risk and Compliance Team (especially Start Fund, UN Agencies). Work with country teams and other departments to ensure relevant grant documentation required is available for audits.
Capacity Building, Training and Learning
• Build capacity of Trócaire staff and partners to access and manage funds through provision of training, toolkits, guidelines, mentoring and advice as per Trócaire’s localisation commitments
• Visit country programmes as requested to provide capacity development training, proposal development, grant management or surge support.
• Document, analyse, and share learning from humanitarian proposal and reporting processes, and compliance with donor rules and regulations.
• Identify and share relevant external training opportunities and resources with staff, as appropriate.
• Oversee the development of communications and information products that contribute to both fundraising and/or visibility initiatives.
• Work closely with other global donor advisors and BDCMs in countries of operation
• Other duties commensurate with the role as may be specified by Trócaire from time to time.
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
• Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
• Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
• Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
• Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
• Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
• Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
• Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
(E) Qualification • Relevant third level qualification or its equivalent.
(E) Experience • A minimum of 3 years institutional funding experience.
• A minimum of 2 years working overseas on humanitarian response
• Experience of working cross-organisationally on funding applications and grant management.
(E) Skills • Excellent knowledge of institutional funding mechanisms, proposal development and grant management rules.
• Knowledge and appreciation of international humanitarian standards.
• Strong budgeting and financial management capacity.
• Excellent proposal writing skills.
• Confident in interacting with senior donor and peer representatives.
• Computer proficiency, especially in the use of MS Excel and CRM systems such as Salesforce.
• Creativity and innovative thinking.
• Training and capacity development experience.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
(E) Qualities • Proactive and keen to set and achieve targets.
• Flexible, highly organised and attentive to detail.
• Able to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
(E) Other • Willingness to travel regularly to Trócaire’s overseas offices and within Ireland/Europe, at times at short notice.
Person Specification – Desirable
(D) Skills • Working knowledge of Spanish or French.
• Good understanding of (Trócaire’s) partnership approach and working with local partners.
How to apply:
To apply please click on; https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/0DBEBC548C/ and complete the application form.