Job Title: Global Technical Advisor: Off-Grid Electrification
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy, and Water, Sanitation and Health (WASH) to local contexts. SNV has over 1300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its current Strategic Plan (2019–2022), SNV is explicitly aiming for structural change and scale in its programmes in the agriculture, energy, and WASH sectors, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at the country level to contribute to systems change. We position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
- Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org.
The Global Technical Advisor (GTA) Off-Grid Electrification is part of SNV’s Global Energy Team. As technical expert in market development for stand-alone solar, mini-grids and productive use of energy, the GTA Off-Grid Electrification will provide high level technical advisory services and backstopping to projects in these fields. The GTA will be responsible for the development of new projects in these fields, with particular attention for innovative finance and digitalization. The GTA develops innovative solutions, contributes to knowledge and learning, and maintains/expands relations and partnerships with key sector players.
The focus of the GTA Off-Grid Electrification will be on sustainable market-based solutions for households, institutions and businesses to access electricity, inclusive of strategy development, backstopping of ongoing projects, business development, knowledge & learning and positioning & profiling. Guided by SNV’s Sustainable Energy Markets (SEM) product, such solutions will not only address the demand and supply side of off-grid electricity, but also the enabling environment, as well as access to finance, while ensuring gender equality and social inclusion. Productive Use of Renewable Energy, building on energy access to increase productivity, incomes, employment and resilience towards impacts of climate change, is becoming of increasing relevance. SNV has a growing number of energy-water-food nexus projects, piloting and scaling up renewable energy applications for productive use, which will be an important area of attention for the GTA.
The GTA Off-Grid Electrification will work closely together with colleagues from SNV’s Global Energy Team and other units within SNV. Subject to possible Covid restrictions, the GTA Off-Grid Electrification will be travelling (30%) to locations of projects.
- Identifies and interprets the main trends, opportunities, barriers in off-grid electrification and productive use of energy, and further develops SNV’s strategy, approaches and tools in these areas, including innovative finance mehanisms for suppliers and consumers.
- Develops standard job profiles and ToRs for relevant expertise in existing and new projects and advises project managers and country directors on staffing and expertise for the implementation of projects in off-grid electrification and productive use of energy.
Backstopping, Advisory Services and Quality Assurance
- Supports the implementation of off-grid electrification and productive use of energy projects, with an aim to increase access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy technologies and services by supporting the development of sustainable markets. Different business models, financial mechanisms and TA support are needed to develop and implement localized solutions, including applications for households, institutions and businesses. The backstopping will be delivered in close coordination with the project managers and other related staff, realising synergies between projects if and where possible.
- Coaches colleagues, associated partners and sub-contractors on quality assurance within the context of projects.
- Coordinates the portfolio of existing projects in off-grid electrification and productive use of energy.
- Leads the initiation, development and submission of new projects in off-grid electrification and productive use of energy, with a particular emphasis on innovative finance, digitalization and market-based solutions. Provides technical input to other project proposals including reviews, in close collaboration with the global Business Development team.
- Applies contextual analysis and systems thinking on off-grid electrification and productive use of energy, in the form of a well-elaborated Theory of Change (ToC), in close collaboration with the sector team and monitoring colleagues involved.
Knowledge and Learning
- Contributes to internal and external knowledge development and innovation in the area of off-grid electrification and productive use of energy, including the drafting and review of publications.
- Participates in knowledge development and innovation groups and in external and internal networks, ensures knowledge products and lessons learned are shared.
- Supports the development, maintenance and updating of the off-grid electrification and productive use of energy knowledge agenda and supports organisational learning by sharing technical knowledge and best practices across SNV teams at global, country and project level.
- Ensures that the set of products, methodologies and tools to facilitate off-grid electrification and productive use of energy efforts, is updated and adjusted to meet the required high-quality standards.
Positioning and Profiling
Develops, expands and maintains effective and efficient (global) strategic partnerships with relevant donors, private and public players, non-profit organisations and other stakeholders through professional networking and profiling.
Represents SNV at selected events at the national and international levels.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline.
- 5 years of relevant experience in the area of market development for stand-alone solar, mini-grids and/or productive use of energy.
- Proven experience in developing strategies and projects on access to energy within an international cooperation context.
- Solid background and understanding of market-based approaches for off-grid electrification and productive use of energy, inclusive of working with the private sector, public sector and other key stakeholders.
- Extensive (international) network and up-to-date knowledge about off-grid electrification and productive use of energy, inclusive of strategies for further scaling, ensuring gender equality and social inclusion.
- Experience with business development in designing impactful projects and programmes, writing successful proposals, and managing donor relationships.
- Experience with knowledge management, learning and innovations in access to energy. Ability to raise awareness, coach and provide training to technical and non-technical project and partner staff.
- Capacity to work independently, with an authority to steer, give direction and advise project managers. Ability to stimulate and inspire project teams.
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation.
- Good communication and negotiation skills as well as intercultural sensitivity.
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change. Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required. Proficiency in French is highly desirable.
Contract Type: 0.8-1.0 FTE
Contract Duration: 2 years with a strong possibility for extension
Expected Start Date: March/April 2022
Information Duty Station: Preferably Netherlands (negotiable)
Travel to Projects: Approximately 30% (Covid Permitting)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment. Our staff benefits from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to apply?
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 17th January 2022 by clicking on the link: I’m interested.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement