Finance Adviser **
Kabul, Afghanistan. The work might require occasional travelling in rural areas in Afghanistan, subject to the security situation. For the time being, Kabul is classified as a non-family duty station.
Male / Female
Fixed term – One Year (Extendable)
According to DACAAR Expatriate salary scale
Sunday – Thursday from 7:30 am – 04:00 pm (summer timing), 08:00 am – 04:00 pm (winter timing)
DACAAR is a non governmental, humanitarian organization that supports sustainable development in Afghanistan through promoting the ability of local communities to decide upon and manage their own development process. The organisation employs around 900 staff of whom 05 are expatriates. Core thematic areas are: Water, Sanitation & Hygiene; Natural Resource Management; Small Scale Enterprise Development; Women’s Empowerment.**
The Adviser will oversee and ensure coherence between DACAAR’s contractual obligations and its financial procedures. Also, the Adviser will ensure adherence to established financial procedures. This includes review of all existing policies and procedures as well as advice on improvement of existing systems and a continued development and streamlining of regulations, procedures and systems in DACAAR. The Adviser will have a special focus on the financial management procedures and systems of the organization and compliance with donors’ rules and regulations.
As member of the DACAAR Senior Management (SMT) the Finance Adviser reports to the Director and will have strong advisory relationship towards all Departments including in all matters relating to financial procedures. In addition, the Finance Adviser will maintain close collaboration with DACAAR Head of Secretariat in Denmark
The general responsibilities of the Finance Adviser:
· Provide leadership, budget and implement activities’ concerning the Finance Department in line with DACAAR’s Strategic Programme Framework and approved procedures.
· Provide strategic advice on matters related to Finance to the Director and members of the SMT, this also includes specific information required to support SMT discussions and decision making as requested and quarterly board meeting support documentation.
· Represent DACAAR and manage external relations with relevant government authorities, donors, partners, UN agencies and international and national NGOs as delegated by the Director.
· Ensure close coordination with other departments with respect to preparation of proposals and writing of reports to meet requirements of the Governing Board, donors and government authorities.
· Maximize internal synergy between the cash, bank & tax functions and the audit, budget & reporting functions and external synergy between the Finance Department as whole and other departments.
Specific responsibilities of the Finance Adviser include, but are not limited to, the following:
· In close coordination with other Department, Finance staff led on the preparation of annual operations budget.
· Conduct regular budget monitoring and ensure corrective action is taken as required.
· Ensure full compliance with tax regulations.
· Ensure timely preparation of DACAAR annual financial statements and project accounts.
· Advice the management in case of any modifications required to financial manual and other related documents.
· Ensure strategic financial management practices are followed, including management of cash flow and bank accounts in several foreign currencies, in accordance with individual donor contracts.
· Prepare short and long-term financial forecasts of financial performance for use with internal management and external parties.
· Ensure that organization financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
Develops annual operational budgets for the review and approval of the Director / Governing Board members.
Support the financial aspects of the Strategic Planning Process.
Provide overall direction for financial management, accounting, and budget functions.
Oversee all financial and accounting activities; ensure reporting requirements are met.
Ensure that the organization meets its budget targets for operational income and expenses.
· Participate in risk prevention and risk management with other SMT members and show the way forward for the financial component.
· Continuously review, evaluate, develop and implement an internal control system to maintain the financial integrity DACAAR.
· Coordinate with Grants Team and produce on an annual basis a forecast of income for the following period.
· Develop the finance skills of the finance and non-finance staff of DACAAR.
· Ensure that DACAAR funds and assets are being put into good use and for the purposes the donors intended them to be.
· Ensure that financial statements are prepared for internal or external auditors as required.
· Ensure that a sufficient audit trail is maintained for all transactions at the Main Office and the Secretariat Office.
· Coordinate with internal audit function and develop a systematic internal audit program covering all of DACAAR-operations to ensure that adequate control systems are being maintained.
· Any other tasks assign by the Director.
Education: Master degree in financial management and accounting.
Experience: Minimum Five (5) years of professional experience and interest in management and administration of donor funds including compliance with donor’s rules and regulations (DANIDA, ECHO, USAID, Norwegian MOFA, UN agencies.
Other qualifications’ an advantage:
· Strong coaching and mentoring skills and attitude.
· Experience with DACAAR’s financial system, SUN, Q&A.
· Work experience from and knowledge about Islamic culture in general and Afghanistan in particular is an advantage.
· Cultural sensitivity and adaptability.
Languages: Fluency in Written and spoken English is required.
In addition to the monthly salary, the following package is also provided:
· A return air ticket between employee home address and Kabul at the beginning and end of the assignment.
· R&R: 5 paid working days of leave upon completing Eight weeks of continuous stay (excluding weekend and public holidays) inside Afghanistan.
· Covering the expenses occurred (travel and accommodation) during R&R maximum up to USD 1400/- (One Thousand & Four Hundred US dollars only).
· Annual Leave: 25 paid working days per year (2.08 days per month).
· Public holidays: 10 days per year.
· Travel, Health and life insurance coverage for the duration of your employment.
· Accommodation: shared accommodation, reasonably furnished, all utility costs covered, civilian guards coverage 24/7, no housekeeping services provided.
· Excess baggage allowance: cost of maximum 20 kgs upon arrival and departure (provided based on receipts).
· Free lunch during weekdays.
· Pick up and drop service to and from work.
· Accommodation while traveling to the field.
How to apply:
Procedure for submission of applications:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a DACAAR Job Application Form along with introduction letter and CV online to firstname.lastname@example.org or a hard copy to HR Department in DACAAR main office Kabul.
DACAAR is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all sections of the society. While all applicants will be strictly assessed on their individual merit, qualified women, people with disabilities and members of minority communities are especially encouraged to apply.**
Kabul Office Address:
DACAAR, Main Office, Paikob-e-Naswar, Wazirabad, Kabul, Afghanistan
Postal address: Central P.O. Box 208, Kabul, Afghanistan
Phone: (+93) 0202230752/ (+93) 0202230753
Web site: www.dacaar.org