Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party I – Employment (South Sudan)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party I – Employment for an anticipated five-year USAID funded Integrated Youth Engagement Activity in South Sudan. The program aims to empower and create opportunities for underserved and out of school youth ages 14-25 to effectively benefit, participate and pursue their education, employment, health and social cohesion goals. Hiring is contingent upon successful award of the project and USAID approval of the candidate.
< strong>Job Summary:
As Deputy Chief of Party I you will work as part of a technical team on a large project and provide oversight of all program goals to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Required Languages – English.
Travel: Must be willing and able to spend up to 75% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Experience and skills in implementing matrix management for programs delivered through a consortium.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with very basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
- Recognized technical experience and qualifications in youth employment strategies.
- Demonstrated experience of successful management, including management of functions of complex, multi-activity projects.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervision of MEAL Manager and technical supervision of Program Manager- Education, Program Manager- Social Cohesion and Program Manager- Health.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Finance and Operations Manager, technical and program teams, programs and operations management teams and regional technical advisors.
External: Donors, Partners, Caritas Internationalis member organizations, peer agencies, clusters and local government authorities.
· Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area.
· 5 years’ relevant management and technical experience.
· 3 years experience managing donor funds. Knowledge and experience in budget management.
Agency-wide Compe tencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
*Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the positi on.*** Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination. CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm. CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer**
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.