Job Title: Country Director
MSI Reproductive Choices is one of the world’s leading providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare. We believe that everyone should have the right to choose. From contraception to safe abortion and life-saving post-abortion care, we are committed to delivering compassionate, affordable, high-quality services for all.
Today, our organisation has over 9,000 team members working in 37 countries across the world. Our success lies in the fact that MSI teams are locally led, entrepreneurial and results-driven, and are passionate about delivering high quality, client-centered care in their own communities. As a social business, we focus on sustainable delivery, efficiency, and funding models that are built to last, so that the women and girls we serve today will have a choice in the future too.
We know that access to reproductive choice is life changing. For some, it can mean the ability to complete an education or start a career. For others, it means being able to look after the family they already have. For everyone, it means the freedom to decide their own future, creating a fairer, more equal world.
About the Role
The Country Director is responsible for delivering results for women and their families, driving programmatic excellence, and implementing best practice at scale. They ensure high quality services are provided where they are needed the most, and their work directly contributes to preventing unnecessary deaths and making a sustainable impact on the lives of thousands of people every year.
The Country Director is a key leadership position responsible for the overall strategy, management (programmatic, financial, and administrative), and development of our national family planning and sexual and reproductive health (SRH) programmes. They lead skilled, professional country teams to deliver life-saving services through clinical centres, mobile outreach teams, and public sector support programs. In addition, they are responsible for preparing and executing annual budgets, marketing plans and work plans; developing new business opportunities; overseeing financial, administrative, and logistical resources; ensuring adherence to MSI minimum standards; and assuring quality operations in line with annual and long-term strategic goals and objectives. They are accountable for the compliance of all country programme operations with national laws and MSI and donor policies. The Country Director manages for results, valuing and rewarding high performance, accountability, speed and efficiency and innovation, while keeping the client at the heart of everything we do.
The Country Director is MSI’s senior representative in the country of assignment. They work closely with governments, donors, and other key stakeholders to overcome barriers that prevent women and men from accessing safe, affordable, reliable family planning and other sexual and reproductive health services.**
We recruit talented, dynamic people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, all united by a belief in our mission and a focus on delivering measurable results. We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to creating a fully inclusive workplace, where everyone feels able to participate and contribute meaningfully. You must be open-minded, curious, resilient, and solutions-oriented, and committed to promoting equality, and safeguarding the welfare of team members and clients alike.
To succeed in this role, you must have:
- International work experience – will have successfully worked in a senior management role and will have experience of expanding programmes (desirable: experience of working in a senior management role in a country other than your home country)
- Proven general management experience in operationally demanding and challenging environments (to include staff recruitment, training, and supervision of teams)
- Proven experience of change management, including identifying required change, leading the change programme, and ensuring change is embedded and sustained
- Designed and delivered strategic and annual business and work plans
- Experience of income generation through donor funding and/or commercial activities (desirable: experience of business development including developing and writing compelling tender proposals)
- Financial management experience, including internal controls and accountability: managing and improving the bottom line (desirable: experience managing a P&L)
- Demonstrable experience of generating, tracking, and analysing management information and using data to inform management decision-making
- Previous experience identifying and sharing best practice and encouraging innovation within dispersed teams
- Proven experience of building lasting relationships with key external stakeholders, e.g., government or donor stakeholders to deliver tangible results for the organisation (for example, previous fundraising success).
- Board management experience
- Experience of building a brand into a brand of choice (desirable: experience in FMCG or another private sector experience).
· Fluent written and spoken English (PNG Pidgin is an advantage)
· Project management
We seek exceptional individuals who are aligned to MSI’s mission and entrepreneurial mindset. You must be a strong communicator, self-motivated and solutions-seeking, committed to driving social change in an environment that measures sustainable results and impact at an individual and global level. You must be able to work effectively with and across diverse teams and be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Has energy, drive and unwavering commitment for MSI’s mission, and the ability to inspire others
- Is passionate about our clients and strives to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting the clients at the centre of everything, and ensuring we deliver high quality, high impact services that meet their individual needs
- Inspires individuals and teams through situational leadership providing clear direction
- Motivates and develops the skills of the team members
- Works as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures
- Focuses on results, ensuring long term sustainability and increased impact
- Is courageous: pushes the boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission
- Takes accountability for the decisions made and the behaviours demonstrated
- Has a commercial mind-set, understanding the levers for profitability for success within the marketplace
- Stays aware of the emerging developments within our sector and more broadly within the region, with the ability to focus and articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others, while understanding the detail and looking for the evidence
- Actively seeks out feedback on their performance (both results and behaviours) with a view to continuously learning and growing as a leader
· Builds and maintains effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders, and is a true MSI ambassador
For more information about the role, please view the job description and person specification on our website.
Location: Papua New Guinea
Full-time: 40 hours a week
Contract type: fixed term contract, up to 3 years
Salary: Country Programme Salary Range + discretionary bonus + benefits
Closing date: 11th February 2022 (midnight GMT). Interviews may take place before this date for exceptional candidates.
How to apply:
For more information about the role, please view the job description and person specification on our website: https://careers.msichoices.org/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=137889