Global Programs for Research & Training is a non-governmental organization registered in Kenya to represent the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
Global Programs is recruiting for a Kenya national to fill the position of Computational and Data Research Specialist. This position requires a one-year commitment, with the potential for extension at the end of the period, subject to funding availability.
The position will provide technical expertise in conducting simple and complex statistical analyses using R, Python or STATA and create analytical databases for a variety of research studies under the Sustainable East Africa Research Collaboration (SEARCH), a large-scale community-based study with epidemiologic, laboratory, social network, economic and behavioral data in Uganda and Kenya. www.searchendaids.com
SEARCH is a multinational and multidisciplinary consortium assembled to conduct research that evaluates bold health interventions at the community level that inform policy makers and funding agencies through the inclusion of health, economic and education parameters and through innovative and efficient study designs.
The specialist will develop and manage data collected in Kenya from multiple health clinics and assist other scientists in understanding their data and how it can be analyzed. The position will ensure data is structured, checked for errors and ready for analysis. This involves managing data from multiple studies and working with a variety of staff both at UCSF and in Kenya.
The specialist will provide expertise in an end-to-end data pipeline including data collection, cleaning, processing and analysis with the opportunity to build data systems from the ground up. Specifically, the specialist will
work with field teams to collect data across multiple clinics
build infrastructure to efficiently extract, transfer and load records
create dashboards with insights and visualizations to prompt real-time action
write scripts to detect operational gaps and data discrepancies
clean and process complex data living in hundreds of data tables to usable datasets
perform advanced analyses and communicate results to cross-functional teams
Under the direction of UCSF research investigators and data directors, the specialist will be required to
· Lead a team of data managers and staff in data management and analysis for all HIV surveillance and SEARCH related projects. This will include clinical health visits, program evaluations, bio-behavioural surveys, program and lab data analysis and others as needed.
· Plan, design, develop, modify, debug, deploy and evaluate complex HPC software and /or hardware or data science or computational science or CI research software and technologies or a combination thereof.
· Analyze existing software, scientific codes, data science / analytics codes / algorithms, and HPC related hardware or works to formulate logic for new complex systems and devise complex algorithms.
· Perform complex analysis and tests and debug complex software and hardware while applying complex programming practices. May work with domain scientists in areas such as HIV drug resistance, HIV transmission, hypertension, tuberculosis, childhood illness and mortality where applicable and uses domain science knowledge where relevant.
· Write sections of standard operating procedures, reports and presentations that are relevant to statistical expertise including sampling methodology, sample calculations, data management and analysis.
· Work with team leads to facilitate dissemination of work through presentations, reports and scientific manuscripts.
· Establish and maintain close collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH), agencies, institutions and key partners.
· May serve as technical lead for research and development projects of moderate scope
· Master’s degree in biostatistics and epidemiology required
· At least 10 years’ experience in public health, epidemiology, M&E or a surveillance related field is required.
· Broad knowledge of concepts of public health, epidemiology, statistics and surveillance.
· Intermediate knowledge of HPC / data science / CI / OpenMRS/ KenyaEMR / SQL
· Demonstrated experience and technical expertise with management and analysis of complex survey data, multivariate analysis, modeling and geo-spatial analysis.
· Demonstrated experience preparing survey and surveillance protocols, technical reports and scientific manuscripts.
· Experience supervising and/or mentoring junior statisticians and/or data managers.
· Demonstrated experience providing training and capacity building on statistical analysis and statistical packages.
· High-level proficiency in R, Python and STATA statistical software
· Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills.
· Fluency in English required.
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS/QUALITIES:
· In-depth, comprehensive and evolving knowledge of statistical and mathematical analysis techniques integrated with computer applications.
· Ability to apply complex research and development practices, community standards and data policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
· Ability to negotiate research and development project plans with interested collaborators, stakeholders and users as applicable.
· Ability to work under general direction with minimal supervision, prioritize program activities, manage multiple activities with competing timelines and deadlines, and multitask.
· Strong interpersonal skills in working with colleagues, subordinate staff, as well as partner and funding organizations.
· Ability to effectively communicate complicated statistical and epidemiological information to diverse audiences in a clear and concise manner, both in written and oral form.
· Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
How to apply:
Qualified Kenya nationals are encouraged to apply.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. All applications must include the following:
· Cover letter
· Current CV with names and telephone numbers for three referees
· Salary history
Applications must be sent by email to HR.Kenya@ucglobalprograms.org with the email subject, Computational and Data Research Specialist by Friday, March 18, 2022.**
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.