Job Title: Communications Officer – Remote
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a research project that records, publishes, and analyses disaggregated data on global disorder. The data are publicly available along with information about the project at www.acleddata.com. The data are used for a range of purposes, from academic research on dynamics of conflict to informing diplomatic policy, humanitarian programs, and development work in conflict-affected contexts.
ACLED is recruiting a full-time Communications Officer to support the project’s outreach and user engagement. The ideal candidate will have experience with both public relations and quantitative research, as well as the communications skills to translate complex conflict data into digestible resources for public use. The candidate must have the right to work in the United States of America, although the position is fully remote. Only those with the legal authorization to work in the US (citizenship, permanent residence, or work permit) can apply, even if they do not plan to be residing in the US.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Media Engagement and Outreach: Support the execution of ACLED’s outreach and media engagement strategy (building contact lists, drafting outreach materials, coordinating press engagements, etc.), including by supporting the development and execution of media engagement strategies for ACLED’s special projects and conflict observatories;
- Assist with the production of outreach materials and public-facing resources like press releases, fact sheets, user guides, etc.
- Social Media: Execute ACLED’s social media strategy (generate content and coordinate posts for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.), including by supporting the social media strategy of ACLED’s special projects and conflict observatories;
- Email Campaigns: Draft and execute mass email campaigns (Mailchimp);
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Assist in tracking and analyzing outreach impact, user engagement, and ACLED data usage (Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, Cision, and other tools such as interviews and surveys) for internal use as well as donor reports;
- Editing: Work with ACLED’s Editorial and Analysis team to provide editing support for public communications and research products as needed to ensure ACLED communications adhere to organizational style;
- Administrative Support: Provide general administrative support to the Communications Manager as needed, as well as ad hoc support to the Human Resources team to promote job openings and assist with internal communications.
Skills and competencies:
ACLED is seeking applicants with the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Fluency in English (essential);
- Fluency in other languages, especially French, Arabic, and/or Spanish, (strongly preferred)
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
- Good judgment and extremely high attention to detail;
- Experience running social media campaigns (Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn), mass emailing campaigns (Mailchimp), media relationship management/development, brand management, and public relations/affairs;
- Experience with graphic design/publications and audio/video production and editing (strongly preferred)
- Experience with Cision and Salesforce (strongly preferred);
- Experience with data and quantitative research (preferred);
- Enthusiasm for communications, as well as a drive to learn and master new platforms and tools;
- 2-3 years of experience in communications or public relations in the non-profit and/or research sector (preferably focused on peacebuilding, conflict, human rights, and/or global affairs)
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.