1. Reporting Line:
The Communication and Information Systems Assistant reports to the Head of Communication and Information Systems (CIS), as applicable.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To provide service and technical reporting to the Head of CIS;
· To assist in performing problem management and incident management analysis, and develop general solutions to enhance the quality and reliability of CIS services;
· To liaise with relevant CIS sections on the implementation of approved CIS change management requests through standardised release management procedures;
· To assist in designing the deployment, development, testing, and maintenance processes of CIS standard hardware, software, systems, and peripherals;
· To assist in designing and deploying departmental training activities including user training programs in support of new technologies and procedures;
· To assist in the design and implementation, management, and maintenance of CIS telecommunication systems in all office locations;
· To provide technical support for IT-network and information systems, including microwave and Wi-Fi links, Local Area Network, and Windows-based client applications and server systems;
· To provide support for Mission telephony systems including IP telephony, videoconferencing, and GSM equipment;
· To deploy, install, maintain, and support all data centre as well as end-user equipment, servers, personal computers, software, and services in the Mission;
· To assist in planning, implementing, and maintaining data recovery tools, business continuity measures, and disaster recovery measures, ensuring high availability of Mission-critical data centre services throughout the Mission;
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities: **
· To identify and report on lessons learned and best practices within the respective area of responsibility;
· To contribute and ensure timely reporting on activities within the respective area of responsibility;
· To take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
· To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of a minimum level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and a professional training or certification in a CIS related field; AND
· A minimum of 3 years of professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of technologies with wired and wireless networks (e.g. LAN, WAN);
· Advanced knowledge in administration and support of personal computers with Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2016/2019;
· Problem-solving skills and analytical ability to analyse complex technical customer problems, and manage the same on a day to day basis;
· Expert technical skills and hands-on experience in troubleshooting IT hardware and software issues.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· Previous experience in an international environment, particularly in crisis areas with multi-national and international organizations;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations as a team member in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment;
· Is used to work on a multitude of activities at the same time and with limited supervision;
· Excellent analytical, research, and problem-solving skills;
· Previous experience with radio communications systems, satellite communications and positioning/navigation technologies (e.g. Thuraya, Iridium, GPS), and related antennae systems;
· Previous experience with Document Management Systems).
· The experience should be in the field of Information and Communication Technology support and implementation either in civilian or military environments.
· The professional training or certification should be in the field of technical/mechanical trade and/or technical engineering.
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to converse in business terms about organisational technology needs and solutions, and in technical terms with IT and communications specialists;
· Practical knowledge of Windows Server 2012 – 2019;
· Practical knowledge of Microsoft Office365;
· Knowledge of VMware ESXi/vSphere;
· Knowledge of WAN acceleration and optimisation;
· Practical knowledge of “M-Files” Document Management System software.
How to apply:
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS FOR EU CITIZENS ONLY:
You have the nationality of an EU Member State: You must use Goalkeeper to apply:
a) You are already registered on Goalkeeper AND you have an EU Login:
b) You do not have a Goalkeeper account or an EU Login:
You do not have the nationality of an EU Member State:
only seconded nationals of a non-EU Contributing Third State can be proposed by their National Seconding Authority (no personal applications will be considered): please contact your
seconding authority to send them your application form.
Please note: Seconded positions are only available for candidates already validated in
the database of their Seconding Authority. Please contact your national Seconding
Authority for more information on applying for vacant Seconded positions. We cannot
provide contact details of national Seconding Authorities.
General Information on working in a CSDP Mission: