Job Title: Chief of Party I – AMTAR (Sudan)
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As Chief of Party I you will provide leadership and overall management of the AMTAR: Investing in Rain-Fed Agriculture in Sudan project to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in the Livelihoods and Natural Resource Management fields. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
This position is contingent upon donor funding.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Recognized leader in sector as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Required Languages – Fluency in English is required
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 30% in country.
Supervisory Responsibilities: A team of technical and operations specialists.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Senior Operations Manager, Security Manager, Finance Manager, ICT Manager, Supply Chain Manager, Head of Human Resources, programs and operations management teams, and regional technical advisors.
External: Consortium partner organizations, private sector partners, national partners, Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands, UN agencies, government authorities at different levels.
- Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area. PhD preferred.
- 7 or more years of relevant management and technical experience.
- 5 years of experience managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Strong knowledge and experience in budget management.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching senior program staff.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
*Disclaimer**: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associat ed with the position.*** Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination. CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm. CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency. CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.**
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.