DRS is looking, on behalf of our client, an international NGO, for a skilled Director Country Office in Afghanistan. This position will report to the Director International Offices and will be responsible for the integral management of the Kabul office. The Director Country Office chairs the 4 person senior management team. Management culture is participative with the Director Country Office having the final responsibility for the management of the office and NGO programs in Afghanistan.
Focus will be Networking, Representation, and Donor Acquisition as well as managing the relationship with our client in The Hague. The Director Country Office will create the synergy between the different program units, administration, and the NGO HQ. He/she will be responsible for the realization of Field Office targets.
Job Title: Director Country Office
Start day: ASAP
Type of contract: The contract period is for 1 year starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance (if applicable).
- Creating Unity of Purpose in Afghanistan within the boundaries of International Policies resulting in Strategy proposals;
- Monitors the progress and interdependencies of different projects and programs, taking into account the developments in the country/regions, and proposes improvements in the chosen strategy;
- Creates partnerships with governmental institutions, donors, partner organizations and (inter)national non-governmental organizations;
- Interacts with (potential) local/institutional donors to ensure the future funding for the program(s) in Afghanistan;
- Translates the agreed Country Office targets into a Business/Action Plan, with specific results in designated project areas while securing the connection with the NGO strategy;
- Keeps track of developments within the projects, manages the activities within the team and makes the necessary adjustments, taking into account the business/action plan, governmental policies, relations with strategic partners, donor policies and the efficient allocation of resources. Prevents mission creep;
- Assesses security, reputational, administrative and financial risks in projects and oversees the security of the NGO team, consultants and visitors, according to the NGO Safety First Manual;
- Identifies opportunities for generation of knowledge products, i.e., studies, conferences, based on the experience accumulated in the country in different areas of our client’s operations. Ensures that the CO has a smooth and active cooperative relationship with NGO’s Centre of Excellence;
- Collects information within the programs and reports timely about the results;
- Leads personnel in accordance with the management style and social policy of our client, focused on results, employee development and satisfaction. Ensures efficient use of resources and controls quality of work.
- Academic degree in agriculture, health, economy, business/public administration, social sciences or other subject related to international cooperation;
- At least 5 years of experience with managing and monitoring relief, reconstruction and development programs, preferably also with EC, WB, USAID funded programs;
- Extended experience in program and project planning and implementing security policy in insecure areas;
- Experience in reporting requirements of institutional donors and working with local NGOs;
- Excellent management skills including human resource and financial management, communication and intercultural cooperation skills;
- Experience with human security, health, livelihood, resilience and gender programs is an asset;
- Experience in coping with national and international political pressure;
- A human centered approach to management and ability to promote and structure teamwork;
- A networker, diplomatic and result oriented;
- Ability to work under stressful and time bound project conditions;
- Good oral and written communication skills in English language;
- Awareness of external environment and a firm and assertive negotiator;
- Analytical and problem solving mind;
- Flexible and capable of working in a stressful context;
- Experience in Afghanistan will be an advantage.
Specifics of station
The Director Country Office will be based in Kabul.
How to apply:
Applications and updated CV should be submitted to email@example.com, under the title: DRS ref. number 11074.
Due to the high number of applications, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to client’s procedures.