Job Title: Scientist-Soil and Water Conservation Modeling
Main purpose of position
ICARDA seeks an ecosystem modeler with international experience in soil and water conservation in dryland ecosystems. The position will contribute to a comprehensive approach to ecosystem restoration in the context of resilient agrosilvopastoral systems. Reporting to Team leader, Resilient Agrosilvopastoral Systems.
The position will be based in Tunis, Tunisia or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.
- Lead research on surface hydrological and soil erosion process simulations in the context of watershed modelling and water and land conservation.
- Design, implementation and supervision of soil and water conservation experiments and community-based watershed management.
- Plan, undertake and supervise field studies and data collection in close collaboration with research and development partners
- Manage projects related to ecosystem restoration
- Publish findings in international journals, especially in ISI peer-reviewed journals and representation at national and international conferences and meetings.
- Contribute to fund raising proposal writing and knowledge sharing.
Contribute to institutional capacity building of national partners through training, supervision and technical backstopping.
Education, qualifications, and experience
- A PhD in Agricultural/Environmental Engineering, Soil and Water Management or Physical Geography with a strong background in surface hydrology, hydraulics, and land degradation / formation processes.
- Minimum of 5 years’ post doc progressively responsible experience in a relevant field, preferably in an international working environment.
- Demonstrated capability in specific physical and/or hydrological process simulation and interpretation using SWAT or other GIS and process-based models.
- Experience in land and water management in global drylands.
- Experience in field experiments (soil and water dynamic processes) design, set up and management.
- Experience in community-based and participatory approaches to ecosystem restoration would be an advantage.
- Experience in project management and reporting.
- Proven publication record in ISI peer-reviewed journals.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven experience working in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English, knowledge of French or Arabic would be an advantage.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits as per IRS requirements
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars.
The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 2 years, renewable subject to continued need for the position and satisfactory performance. The first 6 months will be probationary period. Possibility of the extension will be subject to merit and productivity of the staff, funding and continued need for the position.
How to apply:
Please apply online at this link, by 20 January 2022 latest.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.