Job Title: Digital Medical Solution Coordinator – MSFeCARE
Providing the best medical care possible in its intervention contexts is a core responsibility for MSF. Despite continuous efforts, ensuring MSF health workers with uneven clinical background provide care that puts the patient at the centre and ensures patient safety is a real challenge, especially in remote and scattered small health facilities where delivering sufficient clinical training and supervision is difficult.
Since 2015, using digital technologies, MSF developed and deployed MSFeCARE-Paediatrics, an electronic Decision Support System (eDSS) for paediatric primary care that guides health workers through up-to-date evidence-based protocols designed by experts, and allow them to improve their clinical assessment, diagnosis skills, and rational antibiotic prescriptions. Deployed in 7 projects, in 6 different countries, MSFeCARE-Ped was used in more than 280’000 consultations since 2017.
Initial results of MSFeCARE-Ped in the field show that eDSS bring new opportunities to support quality of care improvement through provision of i) evidence-based medical knowledge to frontline health workers, ii) attractive learning opportunities for health workers, and iii) real time data collection for use of monitoring, supervision and feedback directly to the health facility for self-improvement.
To build on these positive results, MSF has launched a 3-year program (ending by June 2023) aiming at building internal capacity to design and successfully roll out eDSS-based interventions to improve quality a) at a larger scale for paediatric primary care, b) in different contexts, c) for different health care levels, and d) in different medico-operational domains.
The Digital Medical Solution Coordinator role leads the enhancement, research and development of the MSFeCARE Programme’s mandate of the current eDSS for Ped, new eDSSs as identified and agreed upon, and the main scope of an eDSS Information Hub to support MSF in it’s choices for a future eDSS. This is a key role that coordinates the medical solution – stream 2 of the MSFeCARE program.
The Digital Medical Solution Coordinator supports the field implementation stream to ensure refinement and improvement of the current Ped solution deployed, in close collaboration with the solution stream. The role is also responsible for facilitating the creation of an eDSS information hub, to help guide the choices and supporting processes for the implementation of an eDSS at MSF. The eDSS lead is impactfully engaged with external experts and MSF groups and teams involved in the digital health space as part of the effort to bring and learn about best practices, solutions, and ideas that could benefit MSF and the global health sector.
Description of main activities
· Manages and leads eDSS development and supports field implementation team –
· Recruits team staff and consultants –
· Develops and maintains detailed project plan for business tasks –
· Develop and implement quality assurance processes in collaboration with IT lead –
· Ensures deliverables are in line with project plan –
· Work on selection and development of at least 2 new algorithms –
· Coordinate work with IT lead –
· Organise network with external experts and MSF Working Groups –
10% – External Network
· Link with external collaborative network
other eDSS clients and users
Digital Health Forum and Hub – presenting at the NetHope Summit and at the Geneva Hub in December
Keeping up with the evolving context of eDSS: what tools, what model, what eDSS developed including WHO SMART guidelines and their DAK
10% – Strategic Advisor – transversal role
· Vision and Strategy
Support in setting the direction of the program incl. planning of objectives and deliverables
Advising on the post-program set up and transition to bau
Advising on the medical technicalities of the program
Supporting institutional knowledge transfer for continuity of the program business case
· High level attendance
TIC (Transformational Investment Capacity) (semestrial)
SC (Steering Committee) (trimestral)
Weekly meeting with sponsor if needs be
60% – Coordinator for Medical Solution
· Coordinating the Medical Solution team to meet set deliverables (see below)
· Managing HR of the stream (see below)
· Link with stakeholders (external and internal) including PWG, ABR Taskforce, OCs medical department, etc.
· Leading the stream for providing a mature and timely solution from the medical pov for implementation in the field
· Setting up post-program model with existing capacities, developing processes and tools to handover to MSF
· Focal point for EPFL partnership on data analysis
· OR Protocol with Epicenter
Deliverables –Work to be performed by the Work Stream 2 i.e. Medical Solution (as a coordinating role)
· HR: Management of 4 people
Medical Process Officer
Young Infant eDSS creation and adaption – consultancy: ongoing, to be recruited
Medical Referent Officer: Recruitment ongoing
· Medical Algo for young infant (completed) – see concept-note (in partnership with PWG)
· Medical processes in place, including the pipeline management, the creation of new algorithm and the support model for maintenance of any existing eDSS (work to be kicked off with a needs assessment by Medical Process Officer supervised by the Medical Process Supervisor
· Medical support for Stream 1 (Implementation) and Stream 3 (Technical Solution) request: providing medical content (for implementation package, M&E Framework), report review, presentation to medical audiences, managing new requests for eDSS from field and HQ, etc.
· Experience in Digital Health, Epidemiology, or other relevant field in humanitarian setups
· Experience in clinical guidelines development or adaptation, including literature review, evidence synthesis and grading, expert consensus processes is required
· Experience in setting up processes and methodologies for Digital Health interventions’ design and scale up is an asset
· Experience in Digital Health/eDSS project coordination/management in humanitarian settings is an asset
· Experience in designing digital health app solutions
· MSF experience is an asset
· Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Digital Health, Epidemiology, or other relevant field in humanitarian setups
· Medical Doctor or Global Health, Public Health degree
Skills & Technical competencies
· Strong communication skills with a proven ability to explain digital health technical concepts in a simple, clear language appropriate to the audience, or in the form of guidelines, manuals and protocols.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external stakeholders involved in medical technologies, innovation and software development.
· Comfortable managing in a flexible, changing and virtual environment, with the ability to be ready to adjust plans and direction in response to local feedback and the iterative nature of digital health projects.
· Assist in the development of internal knowledge on digital health solutions through participation in presentations, trainings, producing papers and collaborating with the Medical Knowledge Management project.
· Ability to analyse medical and structural issues
· Excellent overall understanding of Evidence-Based Medicine and Guidelines adaptation concepts
· Excellent writing and communication skills, including documentation and reporting
· Ability to manage collaborative work with groups of clinical experts
· Ability to conduct relevant data analysis
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French required.
· Proficiency in another language is a plus.
· Flexible, proactive and able to work independently
· Good analytical and synthetic skills
· Team spirit and ability to motivate
Terms of Employment
· Fixed-term contract, 18 months, 80%
· Working place : Geneva
· Ideal Starting date: Immediately
· Gross monthly salary for a 80%: from CHF 6’534.- to CHF 7’449.- (salary commensurate with equivalent experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply:
Only applications submitted on the recruitment platform will be considered. Applications must contain: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in English.
Closing date for application is 12.12.2021
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted**.**