Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party – Human Centered Design, Somalia
DT Global is a fast-growing international development organization that focuses on improving the capability, capacity, and effectiveness of development programming in complex global environments. Working across a variety of sectors – including Economic Growth, Environment & Infrastructure, Governance, Human Development, and Stabilization & Transition – we provide world-class program management, design, analysis, and monitoring and evaluation services.
Built on the strengths, knowledge, and 50+ years of experience from AECOM International Development, Development Transformations, and the Global Peace and Development Charitable Trust, we have a global ecosystem – including a non-profit partner, the DT Institute – working together to develop cutting edge solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. With corporate offices in the USA, Spain and Australia, in addition to project field offices in over 90 countries, DT Global implements projects funded from a wide array of clients, including USAID, EU, DFAT, NC, MFAT, DFID and other public and private stakeholders. We value learning, research, and rapid program adaptation in response to changing realities on the ground. Together with our global team of experts, we are building technical capabilities across sectors in order to deliver high-quality interventions and transform lives around the world.
DT Global seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)-Human Centered Design (HCD) for an anticipated USAID-funded opportunity in Somalia. Under the direction of the Chief of Party (COP), the DCOP-HCD will supervise DT Global’s day-to-day program implementation across a broad array of economic intervention strategies to enhance local economic resilience particularly for communities reliant on agriculture and agricultural value chains. The DCOP-HCD will ensure that program tasks are completed in accordance with DT Global policies and procedures, Somalian laws and regulations, and USAID requirements, in particular by ensuring robust implementation techniques that allow for scaling and pivoting activities on short notice; ability to incorporate ongoing learning methods to inform impact; and with a communication emphasis to be perceived as transparent by beneficiary communities; and aligned with best practices of economic growth program interventions in conflict-impacted communities. The DCOP-HCD will be responsible for day-to-day oversight and management of all program staff in collaboration with HQ, as well as for ensuring donor reporting and management, under guidance from the COP.
Reporting to the project COP, the DCOP-HCD will have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments and manage diverse teams to deliver impact. The DCOP-HCD must possess the intellectual, communications, leadership, and managerial skills necessary to develop, articulate and assist activity design and implementation of the program, and must be able to be based in Somalia for the duration of the project.
- Support the COP, acts for the COP as needed and carries out any other tasks assigned by the COP to ensure proper management of the award.
- Coordinate technical team leads, ensuring the incorporation of professional design thinking and human-centered design approaches during all intervention planning and adaptation.
- Provide leadership to program implementation, results, and management of the program.
- Serve, as necessary, as the program’s interlocutor with USAID and are responsible for supporting the COP to establish and maintain constructive relations with counterparts from across different regions of Somalia.
- Ensure the continuous integration of Human Centered Design approaches to activities intended to strengthen sustainability and resilience for a wide array of marginalized populations from different social backgrounds, economic options, and freedom of movement from one community to another.
- Coordinate closely with the HQ Program Manager to ensure project objectives and requirements are compliant and on time.
- Investigate and identify new ways of achieving project efficiencies.
- Encourage mentorship and capacity building of staff; conduct programmatic/HCD trainings and refreshers as needed throughout the life of the project.
- Ensure staff operate in accordance with the Field Office Procurement Manual, Recruitment Manual, and the Employee Handbook.
- At least a Masters’ degree in business, economics, or other relevant field (or, alternately, a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 3 additional years of relevant experience).
- Minimum 5 years implementing complex development assistance, business start- up or professional human centered design services in developing countries; of which three years was overseas in a management position that involved supervising staff, and of which one year was working for a major development or humanitarian organization, and of which one year must be working experience in/on fragile or post-conflict states.
- Demonstrable experience regularly leading project or product designs, utilizing professional design thinking and/or human centered design processes; experience working for a professional design firm preferred.
- Experience managing culturally diverse teams and working with counterparts from other cultures; and
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills.
Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
Diversity and Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global, LLC prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.