Job Title: Budget and Finance Officer, P3 (TA), Geneva
Terms of Reference
Budget and Finance Officer
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a temporary Appointment within the Division of Strategic Planning and Results (DSPR) in the Performance Analytics and Reporting Unit (PARU), of The Annual Review and Budget Analysis Service (ARBAS).
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Budget and Finance Officer (P3)
- Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
- Duration: Six months (initial)
- Contract Type: Temporary Appointment (TA)
- Closing date: 16 December 2021
- Start date: as soon as possible
Division of Strategic Planning and Results (DSPR) guides and supports strategic planning and multi-year planning; ensures that planning and resource allocation processes are simplified, evidence-based and coherent; strengthen results-based management and reporting on impact and outcomes and resources allocated; strengthens management and oversight of projects implemented directly or by partners. The Division has three services: 1. Strategic and Programme Planning Service, SPPS; 2. Annual Review and Budget Analysis Service, ARBAS; 3. Implementation Management and Assurance Service, IMAS.
The Annual Review and Budget Analysis Service (ARBAS) guides the process of annual review, detailed planning and prioritization, budgeting and resource allocation across UNHCR. ARBAS develops guidance, tools and systems to assist operations and Divisions to prepare data-driven, impact-oriented and credible annual plans in line with multi-year strategic plans and expected resource projections for the organization. Advising the Senior management on resource allocation and prioritization, ARBAS undertakes detailed descriptive and diagnostic analysis on plans, budgets, expenditures, priorities, needs and gaps, sectors and operations where more resources are sought to meet the increasing need.
Performance Analytics and Reporting Unit (PARU) has a lead role in reporting implementation of programme budgets from both the financial and performance results perspectives. The Unit prepares and maintains dashboards, reporting systems and mechanisms, key metrics and impact analytics. Report users include senior management, other services of DSPR, Divisions and Bureaux, external stakeholders, Standing Committee, Executive Committee and other Committees of Member States.
The position is one of the three professionals reporting directly to the Unit Head. It works with a P3 Budget Analyst and a Budget Associate G6. It interacts regularly with other colleagues within ARBAS but also in the other services of DSPR and with colleagues in Finance-Accounting, Regular contacts also involve the Governance Secretariat service and, externally, the Secretariat of the ACABQ, the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions in New York.
We are looking for a dynamic and proactive professional, a team player who is capable of contributing tangible value added to PARU, a fast learner who can quickly understand and internalize UNHCR business processes climbing through a steep learning curve to full delivery.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare the UNRB programme budget proposals
- Coordinate the collection of detailed information (e.g. Q&A) in support of the defense of 1 and 2 before various committees
- Perform daily and year end accounting in respect to the budget ledgers, including the preparation of the Statement of Comparison of Budget and Actual Amounts, based on the budget
- Perform cost-benefit and other cost accounting analysis as required
- Oversee the preparation of other statutory reports to Governance on budget implementation
- Provide response to queries from the Internal Auditor and the BOA on queries related to the budget [Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
- Solid experience in the field of budgeting, finance and accounting, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management.
- Expert knowledge of IPSAS accounting standards.
- Excellent understanding and/or experience of financial modules a major Enterprise Resource Planning system (preferably PeopleSoft and Oracle).
- Advanced computer skills, in MS Office applications, especially MS-excel. Experience in the use of Power BI.
- Excellent oral communication skills. Experience in managing teams comprising people from multinational/multicultural environments.
- Documented experience in drafting official reports for committees of member states.
- Experience in managing teams
Field(s) of Education: Accounting; Finance; Public or Business Administration; Economics,
or other relevant field.
An accounting certification from a recognized body is required.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in the Performance Analytics and Reporting Unit/ ARBAS, DSPR in UNHCR HQ Geneva, Switzerland.
The temporary appointment is for six months and the expected start date is as soon as possible. It is a full-time role with working hours Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
How to apply:
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit the UNHCR career page at www.unhcr.org/careers – click on the Vacancies tab and enter job ID 31482.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for this TA advertisement is Thursday 16 December 2021 (midnight Geneva time)