Job Title: Emergency Project Operations Specialist (2103172)
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: 2103172
Emergency Project Operations Specialist
Posting Date: 30/Nov/2021
Closure Date: 28/Dec/2021, 11:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: OER
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration: 11 months
Post Number: N/A
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Office of Emergencies and Resilience, OER is responsible for ensuring FAO’s efforts to support countries and partners in preparing for and effectively responding to food and agricultural threats and crises. It is responsible for coordinating the development and maintenance of corporate tools and standards to enable Decentralized Offices to assist member countries to prepare for, and respond to emergencies. OER ensures humanitarian policy coordination and knowledge, liaison with the InterAgency Standing Committee as well as with humanitarian resource partners, co-leadership with World Food Programme of the global Food Security Cluster, organizational preparedness, surge capacity and response to large-scale emergencies. OER supports food and nutrition security assessment and early warning activities related to emergency and humanitarian analysis and responses. OER plays a major role in the development and leadership of the Organization’s programme to increase the resilience of livelihoods to food and agriculture threats and crises.
The Consultant reports to the Emergency and Resilience Officer.
Support the implementation of FAO’s emergency and resilience agenda at a global, regional, sub regional and/or country level.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide operational management and programmatic support to the implementation of emergency projects and programmes, including budgetary management and expenditures monitoring;
- Handle day-to-day operational aspects of emergency response projects and programmes in accordance with the project management cycle from initiation phase to operational and financial closure;
- Assist the Budget Holder in the overall management of the emergency and resilience portfolio, including budget allocations, budget revisions, etc…;
- Liaise between programme and procurement units to ensure timely delivery of assistance to beneficiaries, following project workplans, budget availability and in accordance with relevant manual sections;
- Oversee recruitment, renewal of contracts and travel arrangements of all deployed/mission personnel following budget availability and in collaboration with the admin unit;
- Coordinate the production and clearance of supporting documents (concept notes, project documents, financial and narrative reports, visibility materials…) ;
- Ensure preparedness of the country office to scale up following emerging needs or emergencies;
- Support capacity development of operations unit at the country-level, including by attending appropriate meetings and trainings at sub-regional, regional and HQ level.
- Research, input and analyze technical, food and nutrition security assessments, emergency response, policy related and/or funding/project related data and information to support the development and delivery of programme and projects, products and services;
- Participate in the design of emergency and resilience projects and programmes, including the preparation and presentation of project proposals and fully-fledged project documents and budgets;
- Liaise with other government, UN, cluster/sector, NGO and donor partners at the appropriate level to ensure the best preparation and implementation of emergency and resilience activities;
- Maintain and update key country-level food security/needs information and response, information systems and databases, as applicable.
- Undertake travel and field visits to ensure adequate support is provided to the implementation of emergency and resilience projects and programmes;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to the mandate of the Organization;
- At least 1 year (Category C), 5 years (Category B) or 12 years (Category A) experience in humanitarian and agricultural/rural development sectors including work experience with national and international NGOs, UN agencies, governments and donors;
- Working knowledge of English (level C) and limited knowledge (level B) of any other official language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish and Russian).
- For French speaking countries working knowledge of French (level C) is required
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Good communication skills, including in emergency settings;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems, make appropriate recommendations, effective decisions, including in emergency settings;
- Strong foundation in programme formulation, planning, implementation, evaluation and budget management ;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher
Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org