Job Title: Technical/Senior Medical Advisor
Medical Advisor – Technical Advisor II
Based in Blantyre, Malawi
Reports to Chief of Party, VMMC
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Malawi is a small country, heavily reliant on agriculture as a source of income and food. Being one of the poorest countries with a population of over 17 million, the public sector faces enormous challenges to support and sustain quality health services.
Formed in 1994 with its core programs in HIV prevention and reproductive health, PSI/Malawi has grown into the country’s leading social marketer. Today, PSI/Malawi’s portfolio includes a range of products and services to include voluntary medical male circumcision, malaria prevention, male condoms (Chishango), female condoms (Care and Whisper), family planning services and products (Safe Plan) and Tunza franchise clinics.
We are looking for a Medical Advisor to be a lead expert on all clinical aspects of VMMC service delivery within the VMMC program. S/he will provide guidance on appropriate technical and programmatic approaches for scale-up and support the COP in day-to-day implementation of service delivery. Implementation of the program is in 2 districts in southern region of Malawi. PSI Malawi is expanding availability and accessibility of VMMC services, ensure their quality, and increase demand for VMMC within the targeted age group of young men aged 15-29 years. Implementation will also strengthen linkages between VMMC and other relevant HIV, health and social services. S/he will also recommend improvements in the safety and quality of VMMC and other services and engage in mentoring and training of clinical staff. S/he will represent PSI Malawi with the relevant stakeholders at the national level including Ministry of Health, donors (USAID), Medical Society of Malawi etc.
The Medical Advisor/Technical Advisor II will Support the technical functions of a technical department, project, or network member, including leading the implementation of technical activities in line with PSI and global best practices. Increasingly involved in design of technical activities and strategy of a technical department, project, or network member. Contribute to internal capacity building efforts across the PSI network.
- Technical: Contribute to the development and implementation of the department’s, projects, or network member’s technical activities and strategy, including possibly leading development and implementation of discrete workstreams. Provide remote and in-country technical assistance to build capacity of network members to effectively deliver results in line with PSI and global best practices and the department’s projects, or network member’s technical strategy. Lead development and implementation of department’s projects, or network member’s workplans in collaboration with program management team with limited supervision. Support report writing and development of technical guidance. 40% of the Time
- Program Management: Provide inputs into development of budget by department’s projects, or network member’s program management team. 20% of the Time
- Representation: Represent the department, project, or network member internally and externally. 15% of the Time
- Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management: Contribute to the development and implementation of the department’s projects, or network member’s thought leadership and knowledge management agenda, including the development and internal and external dissemination of technical and programmatic briefs, webinars, reports, and manuscripts. 10% of the Time
- Fundraising: Contributes to new business development by writing or reviewing proposals. May serve as lead writer on a medium bid or pieces of a larger bid. 10% of the Time
- People Management: May manage people; provide coaching and mentoring to staff. 5% of the Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
-M.B.B.S., Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (e.g., MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA, MBA) preferred
-At least 10 years of relevant work experience with international health and HIV/AIDS programs. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted inclusive of at least 3 to 5 years’ experience in resource-challenged settings in a technical leadership role..
-Demonstrate in-depth technical knowledge in relevant technical area.
-Ability to provide technical assistance to PSI network with minimal support.
-Ability to share knowledge internally and externally with communities of practice.
-Ability to produce technical products and tools with minimal oversight and direction.
-Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external colleagues. Able to work as a member of a team and independently.
-Ability to lead development of technical approach for proposals with oversight.
-Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
-Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
-Proficiency in Microsoft 365. Familiarity with a quantitative or qualitative data analysis program preferred.
-Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Proficiency in a relevant language other than English preferred.
-Cultural Humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration:You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For International hire must be authorized to work in Malawi. PSI will support work visa for this position.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.