Job Title: Resident Engineer (International)
- CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position:
The Jalam − Harfo section of the Gaalkacyo − Garowe road spans a length of 80 km’s & is found approximately midway between Gaalkacyo & Garowe. The overall project objective is to support economic development in Somalia by improving the transport connectivity in the country. The specific project objective (outcome) is reconstructing the Jalam − Harfo section of the Gaalkacyo − Garowe road. Enhancing Somalia’s transport network will increase the connectivity between the country’s regions & make it easier for Somali people to gain access to important economic & political hubs including Bossaso, Mogadishu, Garowe & Gaalkacyo. Accordingly, this action aims to achieves the following outputs:
- Output 1: Rehabilitation of 54 km – 80 km of the Jalam – Harfo Section of the Gaalkacyo – Garowe road.
- Output 2: Capacity building of the Puntland Highway Authority.
The scope of engagement is to carry out the full scope of work to ensure the delivery of the output meets the required standard.
The Resident Engineer will be assigned to oversee works & will be responsible for:
- Supervision & management of works, including reporting to the Project Manager on the performance.
- Liaising with the contractor to provide advice on day to day technical, contract administration & operational matters.
- Supervise the team working directly under her / him & overall management of resources assigned to the supervision team.
- Ensuring skills transfer & on the job training opportunities for the counterpart staff provided by the govt.
- Day to day monitoring & verification of quality of works carried out by the contractor(s).
- Verification & measurement of quantity of works performed by the contractor(s).
- Maintaining quality control records & preparation of reports as prescribed in the consultant’s TOR.
- Monitoring of contractors’ adherence to contract safeguard instruments.
- Monitoring contractors’ contractual performance, compliance to his program of works & analysis of contractor’s claims if any.
- Ensuring that Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE) requirements & procedures are followed on site.
- Perform other duties related to the assignment requested by the Project Manager.
- This role reports to the Project Manager.
- Bachelors in Civil Engineering or similar discipline is required, Masters in the same or similar discipline is desirable.
- Registration with a recognized professoinal institution is required.
- Highway design or construction certification from a professional institute.
- Minimum of 8 years of road construction supervision experience including in a Resident Engineer / Project Manager (or similar) position in at least 1 comparable road construction project.
- Experience or familiarity of road design standards applicable to Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
- Previous experience in Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
- Must be fluent in English.
- The Resident Engineer will be required to oversee a team of Project Engineers, Surveyor, Materials Technician & support staff.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: