Job Title: Research & Donor Relations Officer
The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is a premier, independent and impartial research organization based in Kabul. It envisions an Afghanistan where policy decisions are made on the basis of evidence, open debate and widespread public awareness in the belief that this will better reflect the priorities of Afghans. Information about AREU is available on AREU’s website: www.areu.org.af.
The Research & Donor Relations Officer (RDRO) will report to the AREU Director. S/he will liaise between research and communications on all donor related requirements of the project. S/he will also be responsible for reporting and communicating with the donors under AREU director’s supervision.
The reporting line for the RDRO will be AREU director. While the RDRO will work closely with the rest of EMT fulfilling his/her responsibilities.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Director in relation with donors;
- Preparing the quarterly and annual reports for the organization;
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements and timely submission of donor reports;
- In consultation with Director (and other technical colleagues in the research & communications departments), writing core funding and project proposals; following up on discussions/meetings/proposals, submitting and ensuring that AREU complied with relevant requirements, and identifying/drafting high-quality proposals;
- Conducting full programmatic inventory of all ongoing research projects – both core-funded and those funded by individual project donors and systematizing the submission of technical and financial reports;
- Coordinating independent researchers (Research Consultants) as required by the Research Manager, and ensuring the quality of draft research reports;
- Provide support to research manager and team as needed on research projects
· Liaising with the Finance and Administration Departments to ensure that correct procedures are followed in sending invoices to donors
- Quality check of all English publications in terms of language after editing descriptive text for the monthly AREU newsletter;
- Work on developing ideas for podcasts and video interviews and be responsible for their production;
- Ensure the quality of the monthly newsletter;
- Support producing videos, edit audio and video content for quality,
- Report all digital content produced including audience statistics;
- Writing periodical articles and blogs on AREU’s research findings for major local and international media.
· A Master Degree (or advanced degree) in the social sciences or a related discipline (PhD Degree is an advantage)
· Excellent organizational, coordination and management skills;
· Previous exposure to research work and donor relations especially familiarity with donor reporting requirements;
· Proposal and narrative report writing experience;
· Fluency in written and spoken English;
· Ability to work harmoniously and respectfully with people from different cultures;
· Excellent judgment and discretion; and
· Experience of working in an Islamic and/or conflict/post-conflict and/or South Asian or Central Asian context
· Computer skills, including word-processing; email; power-point; excel; internet searching; file-management (preferably MS Office)
Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto, of Afghanistan and the aid community, and experience with administrative systems and published research work are highly desirable.
LOCATION & WORKING HOURS
· The position is open for both national and international applicants. However, for international applicants the position will be home based with possibility of travel to Afghanistan.
· Applications of those who have a small time difference with Afghanistan time zone will only be accepted, preferably applicants from Asian and European countries.
· Working hours for this post needs to be flexible and requires full time dedication and extra working hours due to deadlines and project commitments.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive based on AREU salary scale.
How to apply:
Qualifying candidates should send their application with an updated CV/resume and a cover letter by 31 December, 2021 which outlines how your experience relates to the skills and experience in the Person Specification above to email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.